Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFCI Outlet

I have one GFCI outlet in my garage. This is the only outlet placed in the garage. It is hooked up to a 15 amp breaker. I am wanting to place an old refrigerator on this outlet, but have heard that it is not good to have refrigerators on GFCI outlets. Would it solve the problem just by changing out the outlet with a regular outlet?

Code requires that at least one outlet be gfci protected. For a fridge - what you can do is change the box to a two gang box, install the gfci as required and just take the hot feed off the top two screws and connect to a standard outlet. This is if you want the fridge at the same location. If you want it at some other location install a box and take the top feeds off the gfi and feed the new location.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by HayZee518

Code requires that at least one outlet be gfci protected. For a fridge - what you can do is change the box to a two gang box, install the gfci as required and just take the hot feed off the top two screws and connect to a standard outlet. This is if you want the fridge at the same location. If you want it at some other location install a box and take the top feeds off the gfi and feed the new location.
      If i add a two gang box to keep with code....if the gfci happens to trip on the other outlet, will this cause the entire line to trip, such as my refrigerator.

Comment

Since you're online wait a few minutes and I'll post a reply with a diagram.

Comment

Here's a diagram of how to connect what you want

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by HayZee518

Here's a diagram of how to connect what you want

Thanks, that really helps. I hadn't even thought about changing out the box to a two-gang box.

Comment

Hi there
              I'm new to this, so bear with me. I need to install a GCFI outlet in my bathroom, since I'm replacing the old lights with the built-in plugs. Can I run a line from the existing electrical wiring for the lights to an area below the medicine cabinet, or is there something else that would be better? Also, I have fuses (still!) in my house. Do I need to do anything different with the wiring because of this?
              I would sure appreciate any help with this project, since my husband thinks I can't do it!!
              Thanks
              Gail

Comment

Since you said fuses still, I'd have to ascertain that you are referring to old knob and tube wiring of the 40's.
                Although a ground fault will trip on a two wire circuit - it's really better to be on its own dedicated circuit that has an earth ground. Knob and tube circuits never had a ground installed - just two jute insulated wires.
                See if you can find a way to get a cable from the bathroom to the basement or where your fuses are located. You'll need to attach something called a sidearm disconnect to the existing system. This is just a fused disconnect switch with a neutral and ground bar inside.

Comment

No, there's no knob and tube (thank goodness!), but just your garden variety fuse box with fuses, rather than breakers. I will take your advice and see what I can do. If all else fails, I'll ask the electrician across the street to put it in....almost easier to pay someone and get the "I-told-you-so"[xx(] from the hubby!!
                  Thanks for your help!!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =