Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pull chain light fixture

The pull chain broke off of the light fixture in my 100 year old house. I replaced the lamp holder but now i find that i must pull the chain twice to turn it on and twice to turn it off. could mixing up the wires cause this? thank you very much! -linda

Sounds like the replacement you purchased is for a "tri-light" type of lamp where there is an extra contact both on the "tri-light" bulb and in the socket itself. one pull of the cord would give you the low filament in the lamp, the next pull the medium filament and the third pull would energize both simultaniously.... instead with a regular bulb you are getting "on,on..off off". you can either replace the lampholder with the proper one OR go and get a tri-light bulb of whatever size you prefer, that way you can save yourself the cost of replacing the socket again but gain the ability to have three different light levels out of that socket if you choose.

A.D

Comment

Look inside the shell - see if there are two contacts a center one and another to the side of that one. If so it is a three way bulb socket. What you'll need is a single pole unit similar in appearance to the pne youy bought, just takes one pull for on and one pull for off.

Comment

yup that was it all right... thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
        X
        =