Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trailer wire harness

I have a '05 Dodge Caravan and I want to wire up a harness for a standard utility trailer. (Left, Right, tail lights, Ground.)
    I have wired several older vehicles over the years, but this is the first one that has a 'computer system' in it.
    Are there any precautions,etc that I should be aware of before attaching connecting wires?
    Normally, I just locate the main feed wires near the rear of the vehicle and use (splice) connectors.
    Should this vehicle(computorized)be treated any different?
    Thanks for any advice.

I don't see why there'd be any major difference. Standard wiring is Yellow - left, green - right turn, red - brake lights, brown or black - running lights.
    Computer controls emissions and sensors and gas, charging system etc. The lights use a flasher module that plugs in somewhere under the dash.

Comment

Hayzee; thanks for the reply.
      I plan on just finding the main wires at the rear of the vehicle and tapping into the appropiate ones that I need.
      My main concern was since the vehicle has an 'puter system ,is there any need for some type of "gizmo"
      Over the last several years ,I have wired up many a trailer harness, but none had a 'puter to worry about.[:I] Thanks for any more info.

Comment

CHeck at Murray's or Auto Zone first. THere may be a computer module necessary for a trailer harness. I have '99 Windstar that was an oddball year. Have to special order a module to get it from a 6 light system to a four light system. What's 'special' about the '99 model is it has something called a 'floating ground' (whatever THAT means!!). But, there are a number of other vehicles that do require a special module so as to not bugger up the onboard systems.

Comment

Thanks to all for the help.
          I'll check with the auto store as to this 'module'connector.

Comment

Hube - follow this link. www.accessconnect.com - the site has everything for trailers - wiring diags, for 4 - 6 - 7 wire harnesses and adapters vehicle specific.

Comment

Hayzee, thanks for the tip on the site. I have been there along with several other sites,they have all the parts, etc, but they don't actually have any definite direct info on what is really needed to make the proper hook-up .
              I have found out that its the tow vehicles 'sensers' that can be damaged because of the extra lights (amps)that are being used.

I guess the only way is to (bite the bullet) and head back to the dealership and obtain one of their high priced "modules".
              Thanks again.

Comment

Hube:

I *Think* if you have the "trailer tow" package with your van the wiring for the trailer will already exist from factory, if not you WILL need a module..

Just a note for all of those out there with a newer Dodge,(97 and up???) well at least my Ram is like this... You can NOT just tap into the wiring at the back for the "running / parking" light circuit.. the headlight switches are NOT designed for the extra load and will burn up... (turn signals are fine) There is a kit to remedy the problem apparently that has a relay and all the other goodies to connect up a trailer correct without putting the parking / running light circuit in with the headlight switch......

"Mopar spoken here!"

A.D

Comment

Working...
                X
                =