Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost

I just hooked up a light in my sons bedroom and thought I had flipped the correct switch in the box but went the wires touched they popped and I immediately turned the correct one off...after I hooked up the light I went outside to flip the breaker switch and everything seemed alright there but there is no power to the entire room as well as the dinning room light and the kitchen......[:I....Help!
    Any ideas of what might have happened?

Rhonda

Most breakers when they trip go to the mid position. To reset it you have to push it waayy to the off position and then back to ON.

Comment

Shorting the wires out in the bedroom probably caused an open circuit on one of the weak links in this circuit. I'm guessing you have a loose wire on one of the devices on this circuit and it will be at either the last Working device or the first Non working device. You'll need to open the breaker for this circuit and check the devices, opening each one starting nearest the power source. If you have any receptacles or switches that have the wires stuck into the little holes in the back, remove them and wrap them around the screws on the sides. Also check the light fixtures and any junction box connections.

Before doing any of this though, make sure that any GFCI receptacles are not tripped, since you say this circuit also serves the kitchen you should have some GFCI receptacles. Push the reset buttons to make sure they're working.

PS: If all these rooms mentioned above have both receptacles and lighting on the same circuit, this is way too much for one circuit as a 20 amp circuit will only provide 2400 watts safely and a 15 amp circuit will only provide 1800 watts of power.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =