Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing a 220v Circuit breaker (hot tub)

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing a 220v Circuit breaker (hot tub)

Howdy,

This may seem like a basic question but I am unsure as to the "best" way to handle my situation.

I am removing a hot tub from my back patio. It is connected via conduit that runs directly to the fuse panel on the back of the house. (220v)

The tub is drained and breaker is off.

The tub is being hauled away tomorrow and I would like to remove the conduit along with the tub.

I would not think that it is advisable to just cut the conuit at the base of the panel and wire nut the wires? leaving the breaker off of course!

I would imagine that it would be best to "un-wire" the hot tub from the panel all together.
    If so, then is it as simple as:
    1) turning off the breaker to the whole house (for safety)
    2) taking the fuse panel cover off
    3) remove the hot tub wires from the breaker and neutral bar
    4) replace cover and turn on main breaker (leaving the 220 breaker off)

What if I find that there is nothing else on the 220v breaker? Do I just leave it there in the off position? I am pretty sure that I do not have a cover for the double breaker hole, and would imagine that it is not reccommended to leave that space open?

I aprreciate any and ALL feedback and suggestions.

You definatly want to remove the wiring from the breaker and not leave it wirenutted. You have the basics pretty close. Make sure that you open the Main breaker for the entire house before removing the cover from the panel. And make sure you have someone to hold a flashlight for you so you can see.

There will be 2 large gauge cables that come into the panel and connect to the main breaker. These cables and and where they connect to the main breaker will still be HOT even though the breaker is open so make sure you DO NOT touch these cables. Wrap some black electrical tape around the metal shaft of your screwdriver within a 1/2" of the tip. This is so if you slip off a screw you don't short anything out while removing the wires.

You can just leave the double pole breaker in the open position and not have to remove it from the panel, this is fine. Otherwise if you want they do sell covers for panels at most electrical supply houses, and you can find them for Square D or Cuttler Hammer panels at Home Depot.

Here's a link that'll show you the steps of installing a breaker, it will cover alot of details that will pertain to you. There is a picture of a main panel inside, be sure to notice the two HOT cables comming into the panel. You may also have a ground wire you'll need to remove. Also be sure to install a knockout cover over the hole in the panel when you remove the conduit.

Comment

Thank you kactuskid!

Just wanted to follow and let everyone know that this project was a success!

The only Strangeness was the "main" shutoff breaker that I mentioned in fact just feed the 110v breakers below (a sort of subpanel?). Therefore I just turned off all the breakers in the panel (110 & 220) and was careful where I poked the screwdriver and removing the wires and conduit from the breaker that was being decommisioned.
      I did leave the unused breaker attached to the panel, and labeled it as such.

Thank you again for the information, it was invaluable!

Comment

I'm not sure I understand how your panel looks when you explain the breakers. By opening individual breakers that only removes the power from that breaker and the buss bars are still powered up. You may be describing a spit buss panel but I can't be sure without seeing it.

Anyhow, glad the job went well for you.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =