Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceiling Fan and switches

We just purchased a new Westinghouse ceiling fan/light. And when our friend came over to help install we found out that the switch from the wall only has one live wire (instead of 2). I think that is how he put it. Consequently the fan will only work when the lights are on. Is there some type of wall switch that would compensate for this? I think this is the correct product, but would like the expertise of this forum.

If you want the fan and light to be independent of each other then you would need a hot and two returns to the fan/lite and a neutral - 14/3 or 12/3 cable. Because you have only one cable going to the fan/lite location why not consider a remote control operated fan/light. You won't even need the wall switch.

Comment

I do believe I saw somewhere a switch made for situations like this. I believe it leaves the wire unswitched up to the fan then uses RF to control a box that you install in your fan box... Probably Lowe's or Home Depot...

~Jonathon Reinhart
      ~Jonathon Reinhart

Comment

Most ceiling fan manufacturers make a remote control module that goes inside the canopy and allow separate control of the fan and light without adding wires.

Comment

I installed a remote fan/lite in my own house. A pair of wires (hot-neutral plus gnd) was in the ceiling. The remote receiver is a small module that's in the canopy with a small wire sticking out. Connect up the two wires and gnd to the fixture, push the canopy up get down on the floor add two batteries to the remote and I got three speeds on the fan and a light on-off plus a dimmer control.

Comment

Hunter®
            All Fan/Light Wall Mount Control

Item #: 59598 Model: 27186

This little do dad, sorry, but the picture didn't come up worked like a charm. It installs where the switch is and has a receiver under the base. We did run into a little glitch in that someone in our neighborhood has something on the same frequency and the light is switched on or off automatically sometimes. But we were able to change the switch frequency and that resolved the issue. The switch is about $45.00 so it's not cheap, but it works with my fan.

Comment

the remote switch is cheaper than the running a seperate 14/3 and a dual switch. if you consider time

Comment

quote:Originally posted by peteml

Hunter®
                All Fan/Light Wall Mount Control

Item #: 59598 Model: 27186

This little do dad, sorry, but the picture didn't come up worked like a charm. It installs where the switch is and has a receiver under the base. We did run into a little glitch in that someone in our neighborhood has something on the same frequency and the light is switched on or off automatically sometimes. But we were able to change the switch frequency and that resolved the issue. The switch is about $45.00 so it's not cheap, but it works with my fan.

how is this switch powered. Is it battery operated or does it use wired power. and how is that set up?

Comment

The remote uses a battery. The receiver gets its power from the fan circuit within the canopy

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =