Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding a subpanel

I am just wondering if anybody knows where I can find a 30 amp 240 volt with 6 circuits. I looked at homedepot and only found 100 amp with 6 or more circuits. If there is a 30 amp out there with 6 slots where would I find that. If not, would I be able to use a 100 amp, and what size breaker would I need to install for that. Could I install just a 30 amp breaker on the main panel for a 100 amp subpanel knowing that I am not going to use all 100 amps?

Yes, you can install a larger panel like that. And actually, a subpanel does not need a main breaker. They are usually just main lug panels, where the overcurrent protection is provided by the breaker in your main panel. It never hurts to leave yourself some headroom, so if you find one with more spaces than you need, that should be fine.

I am a little concerned though, witht the fact that you are going to have 6 circuits on a 240V 30A panel. If you distribute it evenly, that's only 10A per circuit. So even if they were 15A circuits and all operating under their limits, you could run into issues with the 30A breaker feeding this panel, tripping. If you are running the wire, I would consider running a larger feed, maybe #8 for 40A, or #6 for 50A (or is it 60, I forget)

Take care

~Jonathon Reinhart
    ~Jonathon Reinhart

Comment

Kidd - #6 for 60 amp

Comment

Thanks HayZee

~Jonathon Reinhart
        ~Jonathon Reinhart

Comment

Working...
        X