Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 220V setup for tablesaw

I need to run wire to my shed where i plan to use my new 3HP cabinet table saw. Not sure what the draw is but i'm sure it's not more that 18amps. Anyways, i would like to tap into a 220 Volt water heater i have. The run is about 20ft from the water heater to the shed. Is this possible. If so, what gauge of wire do i need and should i have concerns of both running at the same time. If the breaker trips, can i get a breaker that can handle more amps? Will i need to setup another breaker box that leads from the water heater to the shed.

Also, what is the process of setting up a seperate 220 volt line?

Thanks,
    -rob

rander

Welcome to the Home Repair Forums

quote: i would like to tap into a 220 Volt water heater i have
    Not a good idea, The statement you made about them running at the same time would be the obvious problem.

quote:can i get a breaker that can handle more amps? Will i need to setup another breaker box that leads from the water heater to the shed.
    Again not a good idea, The wire that feeds your water heater is only rated at the amp draw of the water heater, not rated for the additional load of a shed. regardless of weather or not you put in a breaker at the water heater.

Your best bet and really your only option is to run a separate line to the shed from the panel. (1) you will need an empty slot for this new breaker. (2) You need to calculate the total amp draw your house has and see if you Can afford to run an additional 220 volt line to your shed. 100 amp main with an electric dryer, water heater, range, A/C, lights, computer. Your at about max there.

With a 200 amp main breaker you could easily run an additional 220 line to your shed without taxing the total amp draw, Providing you are not running all the electrical items in you house at one time.

You might consider calling an electrician for advise or to do the work if your unsure.

Keep us informed we will try and help as much as possible.

16x80

Comment

Working...
    X
    =