Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall lights - ground connection?

Hello Everyone!

Just a quick question - I am decorating the lounge today, and I've knocked the electricity off so that I can remove the wall lights (to clean them they are dirty from years of dust!) and also to paint behind them so they look nice when put back up. I want to just put them back as they were... [8D]

I've removed them and there's 2 connections in the back (+ and -) and I've taped the ends of the loose connections on the wall up with insulation tape whilst the lights are being cleaned.

My question is, though, when I removed the lights there's a 3rd 'bare copperish' looking wire - I am assuming this is the ground connection? It didn't appear to be attached to anything, and was just there when I pulled the lights forward to disconnect them. There are 4 wall lights in total, and each of them has this 3rd bare wire, each one wasn't connected to anything, just tucked behind the light base.

The lights are metal I might add. Is this a simple case of putting everything back as I found it, or should I attempt to make sure that the 'bare copperish' wire (which I think is ground) is connected to the metal light case? The entire case of the lighting is metal.

Sorry for such a simple question [:I]
    Many thanks for all your expert advice!
    Pete

PS - I am in the UK by the way, which shouldn't have much of a bearing on your answers!

Hi everyone; I notice the 'ground wire' has a loop on the end and I think it was looped around one of the screws that were holding it to the wall - this is why it looked like it was hanging around not connected to anything when I took them off the wall! I will loop the 'ground wire' to one of the screws when I put the light back - Please let me know if I am incorrect! Many thanks Pete

Comment

The bare ground wire should be connected to the ground wire within the box. Looping to a box screw might seem as ok, it isn't!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by HayZee518

The bare ground wire should be connected to the ground wire within the box. Looping to a box screw might seem as ok, it isn't!
        Hi there; there isnt a ground wire or anything to connect it to within the light fitting. the light fitting is totally metal, and just has the 2 wires running through it. What should I do?

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the UK uses 230 volts. If you don't have a ground wire don't worry bout it. Ideally there should be a ground wire.

Comment

So, it's OK then to wire it back in as normal, and loop the ground wire to one of the screws - just as it was?

Comment

go ahead

Comment

Working...
              X
              =