Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Security Sensor lights

I am going to add a new sensor light [Two flood lights] to my garage. I want to add them to the peak of the garage this garage is 24'x40' and 25' foot high. There is no electical outlet up where I want to install the lights. My circuit panel which is located in the garage and independent of the house has several open and unused circuit breakers. Two of them are 15 watts. I want to run from one of the 15 watts circuit breaker to an on/off switch then on to the sensor security lights. My question is how do I get from the on/off switch to the lights. I want the switch in the line so I have the option of turning the lights on and off. Any input would be appreciated!--Thanks Ray

Do you mean how do you make the connections? In the switch box you connect both neutral (white)wires together under a yellow wire nut. Then you connect a hot (black) wire to each screw on the switch. Connect both ground wires together with a 6" pigtail of ground wire (so 3 wires total) under a wire nut. Connect the other end of the pigtail to the ground screw on the switch.

Here's a link that has a diagram to show you exactly how.
    This website is for sale! danswiringpage.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, danswiringpage.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Are you wanting to have the lights on constantly when the switch is on, or just have them active and using the sensor?

Brandon
      - Have you changed your filter this month? -

Brandon
      - Have you changed your filter this month? -

Comment

I do not want the lights on constantly only with the sensor. I guess I am thinking you can just wire from the circuit breaker directly into the light switch {light switch will give me the option of using or not using the sensor lights} without going to a switch box. I thought you could install a light switch that can handle the wires from the circuit breaker coming in and also have connections so you can wire to the sensor lights going out. Is there a four way connection switch? Or do you have to use a switch box?--Thanks

Comment

Install your circuit exactly like the diagram above, this will give you switch control of the sensor light. You leave the switch in the "ON" position at all times and the sensor will come on at night and off in the day. If you don't want the sensor on at night then you just move the switch position to OFF. You use a single pole switch for this. Power from the breaker comes into the switch using 14-2/G cable. Then using the same cable from the switch box to the light fixture box. Just follow the diagram exactly and it will work no problem.

Comment

Thanks kid, I sure do thank you for the feed back I will get on it and let you know how it comes out.--Ray

Comment

security lighting
              this diagram should help

Comment

Most photo sensors need to have the black wire hot at all times. With this arrangement the sensor will work all the time, the red load wire is switched.

Comment

I've never wired them up that way. Just using a 2 conductor cable such as 14-2/g will do the same as long as the switch remains in the ON position. No problem. And in fact it's better to not have a wire that's always hot and not able to be switched off. Mainly cause these sensors sometimes need to be reset. They are reset by turning the power (switch) off. If there is a constant power source to the sensor then it's impossible to reset unless the breaker is opened.

That's my 2 cents [:I]

Comment

Thanks Kactuskid I followed your print to the T. It works perfectly in the test mode waiting for night to adjust it. The only thing I did different was I spliced #18 wire to the #14 out of the sensor that was the only available wire I had. It is generally used on cars. I will change it as soon as I can get some #14. Will there be any problem using it for a short time or no problem at all.-Thanks again--Ray

Comment

I'm glad to hear it works, but, don't use it till you get the correct gauge of wire. The #18 is way undersized for a 15 amp circuit and will heat up dangerously. So, great job, but do it right so no worries.

Comment

kactus I guess its ok - but like the gentleman said everytime the senser is switched on it goes into test mode - NOT the timed mode. Switching the load wire (red) allows the senser to operate normally.

Comment

I will change it out today, mean while it will be off untill the proper wire is installed thanks again.--Ray

Comment

Hey Hazy, it should go into the timed mode while the power is on. It should only go into the test mode if the switch on the sensor it's self is in the test mode position. Once this switch is in the timed mode, say the 5 min position, then it will operate as it should providing the power switch is on. At least that's how all mine work and all the ones I've ever installed. That switched red using a 3 wire cable is a new thing to me.

So Ray, all you have to do is put the switch to the test mode position and you can set the sensor distance even in the daylight, that's what the test mode is for. Then once the distance is set, just put the switch in the postion that you desire the light to be on for and you should be good to go. All this is in the instructions that came with your light.

Comment

kactus - most photo sensors NOT motion sensors have no test switch. Motion sensirs with a photocell do. Maybe we;re both getting confused with what type of sensor the gentleman has. A straight cell does not have any switches on them

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =