• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incandesant lights in drop ceiling

Incandesant lights on fiber-plastic ceiling tile
    I recently purchased new fiberglass-plastic drop ceiling tiles to
    replace old tiles in the basement. When replacing the tiles I found
    that the old heavy 6" recessed lights were just resting on the tiles.
    I knew these lights were too heavy for the new tiles. So I went back to the store and purchased 4" halo NON-IC and halogen bulbs PAR20 on the salesmans recommendation. I asked if they put off too much heat for the drop ceiling. He said they were shielded and wouldnt be a problem. So I have now installed 10 lights and I am paranoid.
    I checked the manufacturer websites again and the ceiling tile manufacturer has a very small blurb that incandesant lights are too hot for fiber-plastic tiles. I was not surprised just very annoyed as I don't have a solution and I am not sure there is a risk.
    I did a sanity check and I checked after an hour's use and the canister was hot to the touch, not super hot at the bottom - can hold finger there. It seems that the inserted cone is providing shielding the bottom. I can't be sure that it is transfering heat to the tile.
    My questions are
    Is it safe? and a second dumb question. Am I going to have code problems?
    thanks

Update. Multiple hours no issues. Inserted cone feels hot to touch but no signs of plastic melting. Finally, did my own burn test of the scraps of tile. All attempts with a small source (lighter), wouldn't catch fire just singed. Leave it to an acid test to make one feel safe.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =