Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Voltage too high in one area of house!

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Voltage too high in one area of house!

Apparently this problem is related to workers repairing my roof using several saws. I was not home at the time, so don't have details. Anyway, in an area roughly 1/4 of our house, the voltage is so high that the ceiling fans run extremely fast and the lights look like the sun....until several blew out. Also, several sockets don't work. What could be the cause of this? The other 3/4 of the house is fine.

This sounds dangerous. A breaker did not trip???? YOu need to take a voltage measurement at the receptacles to see how high it is. What type of breaker panel do you have and what is the breaker size for this circuit? Is it a single pole circuit? My first reaction to you would be to tell you to open the breaker for this circuit and call an electrician, sure don't want a fire to start.

Comment

What could have happened is on a multiwire circuit the neutral was cut open (open neutral) and the breaker did not trip - you could be feeding 220 or 190 volts into that circuit. Only way is to check with an analog meter. Then go upstairs and see what the roofers might have cut.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =