Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFCI tripping

I am trying to install a GFCI in my kitchen, and when the load wires are connected to the outlet (in addition to the line wires), it trips immediately. The next connection in the circuit is another outlet and a garbage disposal. If I disconnect the load connection the GFCI works fine. I read that garbage disposals can trip the GFCI and I wonder if there is any way to correct this short of running a separate line to the garbage disposal. Thanks for any input.

aef

Does the GFCI trip immediatly once the load wires are connected to it WITHOUT turning the garbage disposal on? If it does then you have a problem with the downstream wiring. Are you sure the incomming power wires are connected to the LINE side of the GFCI?

If the GFCI trips only when the disposal is turned on, then you can connect both the downsteam wires and the incomming power wires to the LINE side of this GFCI receptacle. Then you'll need to install another GFCI receptacle at the downstream receptacle to protect it.

Comment

You don't need to connect the disposal to the gfci. Ever since they came out with those protective devices people, they got to connect everything to them! How often has a shorted disposal "shocked" the user?

Comment

Working...
      X
      =