Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All electric

I'm all electric so when the electric is not working we are "in the dark". Is there any homeowner set up to get a generator to power just a few of the neccesary things? As in fridge & lights. I've seen the whole house emergency generators & they are huge & expensive.

Fred

You can buy a smaller generator, like a 5000 watt model that is fairly portable and can be kept in your garage until needed. To use it you will need an electrician to install a manual/transfer switch. Then you can use the generator to power those items such as a refrigerator, sump pump and furnace. Here's a link to explain more about them.

Comment

Thank you for the information.

Fred

Comment

I have a 4400 homelite that I have out in my garage and it's connected 220 volt backfeeding the garage supply from the basement. When I have an outage all I do is shut off the 100 amp main, throw the 50 in the garage and crank up the ol generator. I also shut off the hot water heater breaker in the basement and let er rip. I can power the whole house with this setup. I have propane for cooking so I got enuf power.

Comment

That's about the same setup I want. Thanks again for the information. Your website is very helpful.

Fred

Comment

Thank you for your kind words - we, the moderators try any way we can to help people. Your thanks and well wishes is the greatest pay any one of us can receive.

Comment

Closing the main breaker and backfeeding a circuit may work for you but it's also dangerous and illegal to do. That's the reason for the installation of a manual/transfer switch per code.

"If you forget to shutoff the main you can KILL somebody. Not just hypothetical, but actual. A search of the internet will reveal stories of linemen getting killed.

Some who do backfeed try to justify it by saying they won't forget to shutoff the main, and linemen should be properly grounding and testing before they handle the wires. Well fine, but that just leaves you 2 mistakes away from killing someone. Both of those mistakes can and do happen.

A transfer switch, by design, does not allow the generator to backfeed through the main. It doesn't rely on you to remember to switch anything. The transfer switch mechanically either allows your selected house circuits to get power from the main or to get power from the generator, but not both at the same time. It is dummy proof.

Another reason to have a transfer switch is so you can manage your loads. For example, if you have a 6 circuit transfer switch. One leg of the 240 feeds circuits 1-3, and the other leg feeds circuits 4-6. You balance the draw when you assign those circuits, and you have 2 meters on the transfer switch to view the draw off of each leg. In order to run a 240, you tie circuits #3 and #4 together so you are drawing from both legs.

Bear in mind that utilities take back feeding very seriously. If they find voltage on a line which is supposed to be dead, (1) they will search the neighborhood for houses which are lit up, ask to see your transfer switch, and if you don't produce, (2) they will report you to code enforcement.
              If one of their men is injured, skip step two, and go directly to lawyers. The burden of proof is on you, and your liability is nearly unlimited, to the extent of your net worth"

Comment

Kactus READ THE POSTING! I open the main - I DON'T CLOSE IT! I'm in upstate New York about 15 minutes from the Canadian border. I'm in farm country where there is no natural gas for heating. Fire water is a brook about five miles from my house. Cable TV - Whassat? They still use 120 volt electric meters here!

Comment

OK, sorry, I meant open the main, doesn't really matter since it's still illegal and against code no matter where you live. Your electrical lines come from somewhere, they don't originate at your home. Somebody could still get killed if you happen to do it wrong. You can't justify telling someone, especially on a public board where folks are seeking help to do something like this just because you live out in the boonies, it's still wrong and dangerous no matter what spin you wanna put to it. Do whatever you want, but tell the folks the proper way so they have no regrets. Cheers!

Comment

Never thought of it that way. THe last house I had a hookup similar. Would always 'make-sure' the main was off before plugging in the genn. Was considering doing similar here. WIll check into that transfer switch. "Two mistakes away" sure put it in perspective...

Comment

I MADE UP A DIAGRAM OF INTER-CONNECTING A GENERATOR TO A FLOPOVER AND TO THE HOUSE PANEL

Comment

Thanks. Since the next project on this old house is revising the service from the meter to the panel, that will be prime time to incorporate this. Would it matter too much how much distance I can go between the generator plug and the isolator panel? And if that needs to be close together, then between the isolation panel and flopover? And if not that, then between flopover and main panel? The further the better noise wise. Would a hundred feet be out of line? I presume the gray lines are all neutral?

Comment

a hundred feet is ok - my garage is 45 feet from the house. My feed to the garage is #6

Comment

There are panels available now that have a built in "generator section".. Whereby that section of the panel can be fed from either the mains supply OR the generator supply, and its in one neat package!
                            I too put a generator in at this house.. a "Kodiak 5500" and ran it into a separate "generator panel" which is nothing more than a small panel with a built in transfer switch, and re-routed the circuits I wanted to work during an outage through this panel...( lighting, referigerator freezer, heating and even the central A/C!!!! There is also less chance of overloading the generator if you turn on too many things as ONLY circuits you want on will be connected to the generator) Works like a charm!

HayZee: You say you are 15 mins from The Canadian border??? Been into " Fort Erie" Lately??

A.D

Comment

Rewired I'm on the other side of the state - northeast part near cornwall border. My Mom still lives in Buffalo across the Niagara River from Fort Erie. I used to frequent canada when I was younger - my aunt had a cottage outside of ridgeway - Thunder Bay. We used to go to Crystal Beach when it was open

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =