Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bedroom wiring

Is this acceptable for bedroom circuits?
    Have two bedrooms down stairs across from each other. The recep. in each room are on their own arc fault circuits(or will be when the breakers are in)with 12-2. The lights in each bedroom are tied together on one circuit along with the smoke alarms on 14-2 and 14-3 and will be arc fault. This circuit will feed two ceiling fans and two one light fixtures and five smoke alarms.

Do bathroom lights (in bedrooms) have to be arc fault?, what about closet lights?

All the code states is bedroom circuits. Closet light need to be flourescent because the incandescents get too hot. clearance is 18 inches from combustables

Comment

Thanks

Comment

The NEC states: All smoke detectors MUST be wired on 1-circuit to include no other outlets. They also must be interconnected a 3rd wire must connect to each in a parallel fashion. AKA- 3-wire cable between detectors.(that is what the red wire is for, on most detectors).

Sorry, I have to retract mention of NEC code above.
        In single family Dwelling Units-

Smoke and fire detectors are covered by: NFPA-72 2002.
        Chapter 11: Article 11.5.1.2 (B)
        states: when multiple detectors are installed, they must be interconnected so that if 1 sounds off all others will also.

article 11.6.1 states that they must be connected to commercial power as well as battery back-up.

My state (authority having jurisdiction),requires smokes to be on their own circuit, not NEC.

NEC states that all devices located in sleeping quarters will be on arc-fault ckt breakers.

~Do it Right or Not at All~

Comment

Also, The 14-gauge wiring may only be on a 15-amp circuit breaker. Just because it has a 12-ga feeder does not make it safe to be on a 20-A breaker. You should never mix wire sizes as this can be very hazardous.

~Do it Right or Not at All~

Comment

The only problem I see with that smoke alarm thing, and this is why they changed the code in CANADA, is people were turning off the breaker to silence their smoke alarms and NOT turning them back on...
            The C.E.C now requires you to have your smoke alarms tied into a general lighting circuit that contains lights or a mix of lights AND receptacles ( not just straight receptacles either)...
            that contains NO arc fault or ground fault breakers and is not part of a referigerator circuit, or part of the counter-top receptacles in the kitchen....
            In this configuration.. IF you open the breaker to silence your smoke alarms, you are basically forced to turn them back on because NOW for example your main hall light wont work, possibly your T.V is connected to it as well.... So like I dont know about anyone else but I like to be able to see in the dark, and I don't like staring at a blank T.V scren... Get my drift? Breaker will be going back on AS WILL MY SMOKE ALARMS!

Check with your electrical inspector and see if wiring it up to a general LIGHTING circuit is allowable for the above reason that it is possible to turn the breaker off to silence your alarms and not turn them back on IF they are on their own circuit with no other loads ( lights, T.V etc) connected that would identify an open breaker...

Just a thought..
            A.D

Comment

I agree with rewired. Smokes should be on a lighting circuit not by themselves. The third wire along with the neutral forms the DC circuit for interconnected smokes.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =