Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flickering lights

Hi Folks,

Our downstairs bathroom light and the kitchen lights flicker intermittently at the same time. They don't always flicker though. What is a typical cause of this? The dryer is in operation and maybe the washer too. We have a couple of fridges, my computer and a couple of lights on but no TVs, music, etc. The well pump is only on when demand is there and it's only on for a short time when it is running. Is the flickering just an annoyance or is it a bad sign? It bugs the hell out of me when I am in the kitchen sometimes and the light flickers. It's the sort of flicker that you notice more out of the corner of your eye rather than staring at it.

Cheers, Max

Something is loose somewhere. Could be a neutral or a hot feed to a circuit.

Comment

So even though these lights only flicker sometimes and work fine other times, this could still be the case? I would have thought that a loose wire would cause the problem all the time. Then again, I'm not a trained electrician.

Comment

whatever is combined for loads on that one circuit will flicker. vibrations from someone walking nearby where the junction box or outlet is - is enough to cause the wire to move. I found a lot of contractors just strip a wire and gather them together and twist on a wirenut. I myself give the wire bundle a twist with the pliers THEN use the wirenut. I've seen wirenuts fall off connections too!

Comment

OK, thanks. What I need to do is try and determine all the loads on that one circuit and fault find each one. I know that vibration isn't causing the problem because this happens when nobody is moving (although I appreciate you were using that just as an example). That said, the washer / dryer would certainly cause vibration but they are not on the same circuit as the downstairs light (I hope).

Comment

Working...
          X
          =