Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior outlet?

Can anyone give me a quick run-down on, or direct me to a site detailing how to install an exterior receptacle?

Thanks,

Dan
    Dan

What is your siding made of where you want the receptacle mounted?
    Do you have a basement?
    You'll need to supply power from somewhere, do you have a receptacle that is mounted near your electrical panel. And if you do, does it feed power anywhere else?
    Is this receptacle a 2 or 3 prong type?
    What state do you live in?

Comment

Sorry, the siding is vinyl, no basement, on a slab. I was thinking of tapping into an interior 15A circuit and staying in the same "stud channel"(?) only moving it vertically. I live alone so there's little danger of over-loading the circuit. The one exterior outlet I do have is on the rear, left of the house, the one I'd like to add would be along the front, right side. This would be far away from the panel(other side of the house), all the receptacles in the house are three prong, I live in NY and I would want it to power various lawn equipment.

I'd rather not cut holes in the house while there's snow on the ground but even still, what's the best way to deal with the insulation?

Dan
      Dan

Comment

Dan I live in NY too up near Canada (St Regis Falls) Find the circuit that operates the outlet you wish to go back to back with and shut it off.
        Remove the plate and outlet. Now see if you can pry out one of the knockouts in the box (if it's metal) It's easy if the box was out of the wall 'cause the KO-s go outward. Then go outside and drill a 1 inch hole in the wallspace above or below where the existing box is. Use a straightened coathanger to probe from INSIDE through the knockout hole to where the outside hole is (I'm envisioning the outside hole to be above the inside box.) Once this is found, strip down about 8 inches of jacket and strip the insulation off all wires. Make a hook in the coat hanger and bend the wires into this hook and tape them - whichever wires you have chosen 14 ga or 12 ga.
        Now pull the wire into the INSIDE box until you see about a half inch of cable jacket. Refasten the clamp and screw (metal box) Back outside - cut the cable about a foot and a half long where it comes out of the house and strip off about 8 inches of cable jacket. Take a weatherproof box and screw a romex connector into the back knockout. Push the cable through the connector and expose about a half inch of jacket within the box and tighten the connector screws. Then push the cable excess into the wall and the connector into the drilled hole - you may have to notch out some wood to clear the connector. Mount it whichever way you want horizontally or vertical (I prefer horizontally) but that's up to you - fasten with screws to the wall surface. Take some clear silicone sealer and put a bead all around the box to the siding. Install your GFCI outlet and weather proof cover plate. Back in the house - put the black onto the brass, white on the nickel and wire nut the bare grounds together. Shove this back into the box and put the coverplate back on and re-energize your circuit.

Comment

HayZee518:

Thanks for the info.

When I retired (NYPD) I moved out of NYC within 6 mo. I wanted to go as far as possible but still be relatively close to my family so I only went to the Orange/Ulster Co. border (Pine Bush).

As soon as some of the snow melts, I'll put in the new receptacle as per your post.

Dan
          Dan

Comment

Working...
          X
          =