Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad outlets

This morning I realized that all the outlets and light bulbs in my crawl basement have stopped working. Later on I found that the two outlets in the bathroom on the first floor don't have any voltage either (though light bulbs are fine). None of the circuit breakers are tripped. BTW, the one of the outlet in the bathroom has a sticker "GFCI protected" but it looks like a normal outlet (with ne red/white test button in the center).

Would really appreciate if someone could please guide me on how to troubleshoot this problem. I am guessing that the problem in the tow locations are related, but am flumoxxed about why the lights in the bathroom are working. Thanks...

You have to find the source of where the power is going first. If power goes to the gfci first and is hot and the downstream power is not there then the gfci is at fault or tripped. If the crawl space outlets and lights are coming off this downstream feed then they will be out. Shut off the breaker you know that feeds this gfci and remove the outlet from the box. IF there is NO wire set coming off the bottom two screws, then you'll have to go looking for some other feed point. BUT if the wires are there, temporarily wirenut the white to the white and the black to the black and turn on the breaker. If eerything works then you found your problem -- get a new gfci.

Comment

The receptacle in the bathroom that says GFCI protected means that it is fed power from a GFCI. So, this means somewhere on this circuit is a tripped GFCI. Could be in the crawlspace. You'll need to seach around to find it, check all exterior receptacles as well.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kactuskid

The receptacle in the bathroom that says GFCI protected means that it is fed power from a GFCI. So, this means somewhere on this circuit is a tripped GFCI. Could be in the crawlspace. You'll need to seach around to find it, check all exterior receptacles as well.
        Thanks kactuskid... you can probably already figure out that this is totally not my domain. I have a basic question before I proceed -

I see two "types" of outlets that are marked GFCI around the house. There are those with a button in the center to test/reset a trip, and others that look like normal outlets but with a GFCI sticker put on by the installer. Does it mean that one of the first types controls many of the second types? All the non-working receptacles I have located so far are of the second kind - am I missing one of the first kind that might be tripped

Comment

Yes! One of the first kind is probably tripped. Here's how it works. A GFCI receptacle, the type with the test/reset button on the front, can protect multiple regular receptacles downstream of it. These regular receptacles must have a small sticker installed on the front of them notifying that they are GFCI protected.

The incomming power wires will connect to the LINE side on a GFCI receptacle. Then the outgoing power wires will be connected to the LOAD side. Any receptacles that receive their power from these LOAD wires are then GFCI protected. IF the GFCI receptacle trips due to a fault, then all receptacles and lights that are connected downstream of it will also lose power Take a look at the diagram at the bottom of the page on this link and you will get a better idea of what I'm talking about:

This website is for sale! danswiringpage.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, danswiringpage.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

So, you either have a GFCI receptacle that is tripped and needs resetting, or you have a lose wire on the LOAD side of a GFCI receptacle, or you have a faulty GFCI receptacle. So, go around and try to find the GFCI recpetacle with the trip/reset button that provides power to these other receptacles.

And make sure that if you decide to replace any item on a circuit that you open the circuit breaker in your main electrical panel first.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =