Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turning plug in lights to wall switch lights

Hey guys,

My girlfriend recently purchased some little lights that are plug in. There are four seperate lights, I would like to combine them all on to one wall switch. I'm assuming I'd have to cut off the plug and wire them together, etc...What I am wondering is, if anyone has done this, and what I need to consider when I go through this process. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

tebert2458,

It is a fairly simple process. Remove the plugs from the new lights, separate the two wires a bit so you can gather one wire from each new light and, using a 'Marr' type connector, connect it to the black wire at the light fixture box. Gather the other leads and connect them to the white lead at the fixture box. Check that there is no bare wire exposed after making the connections.

Check to see if there are any warnings regarding excessive heat from the lights. If the new string of lights are for interior use there should not be a problem.

If you want to purchase a cover plate for the fixture box you should feed the wires through before you connect them to the supply. Ensure that the connector you use is the proper size for the number and size of wires you are joining together. There are large two piece connectors available with a set screw that would probably work best since you can visually inspect the connection before you screw the plastic cover over it.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

WOW! Excellent post Jim!

Keep up the good work!

16x80

Comment

Working...
      X
      =