Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doorbell wiring

Ok guys,
    I have an old big two story house with only the doorbell wired upstairs. The plan is to wire another doorbell downstairs so it can be heard if you are downstairs on the first level. I have a front door switch and a side door switch that are presently wired to this doorbell upstairs and would like to also wire another bell downstairs on this same circuit. Is this possible using the same transformer or do I need to change out this transformer to a larger size? I have no idea what size transformer is wired there now but is there a general size I am going to need? I have already ran the new doorbell wire to the downstairs location when I ran all the extra wires at the time I had the wall tore apart for the kitchen renovation so that hard part is done. Now just the transformer question I can't answer.
    Thanks, Kris

normally each floor has its own doorbell transformer off its panelbox. go to a home depot and get a standard bell transformer it'll probably be either 18 or 24 volts. it mounts into a knockout of the panelbox and the secondary leads connect to it. I have a diagram in one of the "stickies" on how to wire a doorbell - go search for it.
    The sticky was posted 10/30/04 - electrical diagrams

Comment

Originally posted by KSever
      Ok guys,
      I have an old big two story house with only the doorbell wired upstairs. The plan is to wire another doorbell downstairs so it can be heard if you are downstairs on the first level. I have a front door switch and a side door switch that are presently wired to this doorbell upstairs and would like to also wire another bell downstairs on this same circuit. Is this possible using the same transformer or do I need to change out this transformer to a larger size? I have no idea what size transformer is wired there now but is there a general size I am going to need? I have already ran the new doorbell wire to the downstairs location when I ran all the extra wires at the time I had the wall tore apart for the kitchen renovation so that hard part is done. Now just the transformer question I can't answer.
      Thanks, Kris
      I don't know if this was read correctly but I was asking not how to wire a doorbell circuit but do I need to change the transformer to a different size amp draw to add a second bell downstairs on this same circuit as the bell is wired to upstairs.

Comment

Sorry sometmes the mind don't work right. No you don't need another transformer. The bell circuit is intermittent operation. Be different if the current draw was constant.

Comment

Doorbell wiring

Instead of going through all the trouble of wiring another doorbell I recommend installing an Extend a Chime instead. This is basically a small transmitter that's attached to your existing chime upstairs and a reciever box that plugs into any receptacle on your first floor. Then when someone pushes the doorbell the reciever will ring letting you know someones at the door.

The transmitter can be programmed in various chimes too that will notify you if it's the back or front door. I installed on in my basement cause I couldn't hear the chime from upstairs if I was down there and it works great. They sell them at your local Menards store or order from the link. Just make sure you buy the type that plugs in directly to a receptacle cause they do sell the type that is battery powered and I don't recommend them. The AC powered is much better. Take a look at the link below to see what I'm talkin about.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =