Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OUtlets are 1 wall not working?

There are 3 outlets on 1 of my intertior walls that stopped working today. I checked the fuse box, none of the fuses were tripped. I tried resetting them anyway, but this did not solve the problem of the outlets, all in the 1 wall were still dead.

Any suggestions?

Steve

Someone probably has a better explanation around here, but I have found that usually when this occurs there is a gfci outlet somewhere on the same circuit that has been tripped. Have you checked gfci outlets near that wall? Maybe on the other side of the wall, or in a nearby bathroom?
    Try

Comment

dead recpetacles

If it's not a tripped GFCI receptacle then it's probably a loose wire somewhere. If the wires are stuck in the little holes in the backs of the receptacles, remove them and wrap them around the screws on the sides. Also check for a loose connection under any wirenuts in the backs of the boxs. The loose connection could be anywhereon the circuit, including light fixtures and switch boxs, but the best place to start is at the last WORKING receptacle on the circuit and work out from there.

Make sure you open the breaker for this circuit prior to working on it so you don't get zapped unexpectantly.

Comment

I had a good one here about 2 months ago. Had the in-laws over and they stayed in a bedroom just adjacent to the bathroom. In the morning I asked how they slept, they both said just fine but that tv in that room has a wierd problem. It keeps going off and on. Come to find out the outlet that the tv was plugged into was wired to the light in the bathroom on the other side of wall, took me about 1 hour to find this problem after I took apart all the outlets in the bedroom and just about this time someone went to the bathroom and the outlet came back on. Strange problems everyday

Comment

problem solved

Thanks for help. Yes I found a GFI outlet with reset button. Pressed button presto problem solved. FYI the GFI outlet was on differnet wall in another part of room.

Thanks for saving me about $75 for electrician.
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by siklein
            Thanks for help. Yes I found a GFI outlet with reset button. Pressed button presto problem solved. FYI the GFI outlet was on differnet wall in another part of room.

Thanks for saving me about $75 for electrician.
            Steve
            Glad we could help. I don't know why they wire it like that. I've seen that same question on this forum several times!
            Try

Comment

Working...
            X
            =