Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceiling Fan On/off Wall Switch To Dimmer/adj Fan Speed

I have a ceiling fan with light in my bedroom. Currently it has a on/off flip wall switch that powers the entire unit and I have to pull the chains to adjust anything. I want to install a dimmer switch for the lights with a adjustable fan speed. In the wall there a three sets of wires coming into the box. Each set has a black and white wire. The three white wires are connected together with a nut. The one black wire comes into the wall switch then from the wall switch the black wire is combined with the other 2 black wires. Exactly how would i hook up a different switch. Would i need to run any additiontial lines?

This is a link to the switch i want to install

Well, I think we can start with the fan/light switch and then, if you'll select a place to start, we can move on to the GENRAC, Major Appliances and the HDTV, unless of course.....
    At the sw box, the black conductor which IS NOT connected to the pair of black conductors, is probably the "HOT".
    Connect this conductor to the hot terminal/lead at the new switch. Remove the wire connected to the pair of black conductors and seperate these two conductors, connecting each individualy to the other two terminals/leads at the new switch.
    At the ceiling box, connect one of the black conductors to the fan, and one to the light.
    You'll notice that the white conductors are left undisturbed.
    Illegitimas non-carborundum

Comment

Install switch

Well, Snooney is taking for granted that there are 2 separate cables that supply power up to your fan. I'm guessing that this is not so and that only one 2 conductor cable is ran between your fan and the switch box. If this is correct then it is impossible to connect a switch that will control the fan and the light separetly with the present wiring you now have.

The one side of the switch that has a single black wire attached to it is most likely the switched hot wire that feeds power to your fan. The other side of the switch that has a black pigtail wire combined with 2 other black wires is most probably your incomming supply power to the switch. The reason they're bundled under a wirenut is cause onward power is being supplied to other parts of this circuit and you don't want to disconnect these wires from one another. To verify all this just look to see how many cables are at the fan it'self, or use a voltage tester at the switch box to very which wires are the supply.

In order for you to be able to install a separate switch to control the fan light and a separte switch to control the fan moter you will need to install either a 14/3-G or a 12/3-G cable between the fan and the switch box. Below is a link you can click on that'll show you a diagram of what you'll need and how to connect the wires.

This website is for sale! danswiringpage.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, danswiringpage.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

The above diagram shows directions for the installation of 2 separate devices. Your link above does not show a switch, so please let us know what the connections look like on the switch you want to install so further directions can be given to you on how to connect the wires to this switch.
      Last edited by kactuskid; 01-29-2006, 01:53 PM.

Comment

You will save yourself much grief if you look for a fan-light remote control device. The reciever connects to the fan and light and wires inside the dome on the ceiling. The switch can be either left on or wires wire nutted together and a blank plate replacing the switch plate. The light and fan speeds are regulates using a hand held remote device which will ramp up both the fan and light independently of each other.

Comment

Originally posted by kactuskid
          Well, Snooney is taking for granted that there are 2 separate cables that supply power up to your fan.
          An absolutely incorrect "reading" of my post, however, if you have a "back quote" attributable to me, indicating that there is "more" than one hot pair, please feel free to provide same.

Comment

At the sw box, the black conductor which IS NOT connected to the pair of black conductors, is probably the "HOT".
            If this were the case, then the conductors that are all connected together would be switched power. Since this switch ONLY controls the power to the fan, this would mean there would need to be multiple cables feeding the fan from the switch. I didn't read your post wrong, this is exactly what it means.
            Last edited by kactuskid; 01-31-2006, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kactuskid
              If this were the case, then the conductors that are all connected together would be switched power. Since this switch ONLY controls the power to the fan, this would mean there would need to be multiple cables feeding the fan from the switch. I didn't read your post wrong, this is exactly what it means.
              1) Then re-read the OP, because that is exactly what was written.Exactly
              the condition presented.Apparently, sometime in the past, this eventuality
              was budgeted for. There is a single hot pair and two switch legs combined,
              as a method of expediency, rather than rung out and the unused
              leg "safed off".

2) "Switched power", is not a hot pair, which YOU assumed I had indicated.
              So you in fact, you DID miss-read the post.

Comment

Fan, three cables

If I can deduce the thread the following diagram is the way I interpret what he's saying. One line is the hot - feeding a black to the switch. Off the switch is a single black wire - wirenutted to the other two blacks from the other two cables going up to the fan. ALL the neutrals are wire nutted together at the switch AND at the ceiling fan. (same as if he ran a three wire to the ceiling fan, just doubled up on the neutrals)
                At the wall switch, you'll have to seperate the two cables from the wire nut and ring out each one and mark them at the ceiling fan box. One-light, one fan. Now I don't know where you're gonna find a dual dimmer, mounted on a single yoke. What you may have to do is get a two gang wiremold extension box like a 5748 deep box and adapt it to the existing switchbox - where you CAN mount two devices on it. Just go from there!

Comment

Wow Snooney and Hazy, have you seen the recent thread that was started by Fuco?

If i hook this up to a two wire switch do I also have to hook up some type of receiver in the canopy of the fan? I just have the on off wall switch which turns on my lights and fan at the same time. i was under the impression that i needed three wires to run things independantly. What i have been reading so far about this it seems it will do what i want without running any additional lines/
                  Seems he only has one set of wires feeding up to the ceiling fan. This means the black wires bundled under a wirenut are the incomming hot wire and then onward UNSWITCHED power. This makes sense and is exactly what I was describing. This is why it's so important NOT to take things for granted and to get more information before telling someone to start disconnecting wires, this so the unknowing questioner doesn't end up in a bigger mess than what they initially came here with. I point this out to Snooney in particular, especially since he seems so intent on proving his WRONG point rather than stepping back and taking a look at the logic. Kinda reminds me of a fella that used to be here by the name of Volt. Wouldn't happen to be your brother now would it?
                  Last edited by kactuskid; 02-01-2006, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FUCO
                    The one black wire comes into the wall switch then from the wall switch the black wire is combined with the other 2 black wires.
                    Into and from are the key words here I take it

Comment

I'm sure you hit the nail on the head there KSever! But they're not key words for me and shouldn't of been for anyone else answering this question either. The poster has no idea what wires are considered "comming into" and "going out" when just looking into a switch box. They're just there. The only sure way to know what wires are what is to take voltage readings and open up the fans electrical box to see what's there.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =