Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• track lighting problems

I was replacing some dimmer switches for a friend and encountered this problem...
    4 lights on one track...each light is supposed to be controlled by it's own dimmer....it seems that now........after replacing the dimmer swithces ....the first dimmer controls two lights (supposed to be one light)....the second dimmer does not work at all ...the third dimmer id OK and the fourth is OK...it is wired with 14/3...I am getting power to the dead switch but that's about it...I think that there is a wiring problem on the track unit itself...
    thanks for your help in advance
    cadman

Track Lighting

Track Lighting manufactured by McGraw-Edison and Lightolier look the same but are connected differently. All make contact along the sides of the track by stabs that press against the conductors mounted in a plastic channel that run the entire length of the channel. Multiple lengths use a junction stab to make them longer and use the same pressure principal. Same with the right angle direction changers.
    Loose wires feeding them, open feeder stabs and spreading channels contribute to faulty operations. A lot of times, overloaded conductors expand from heat where poor contact is made with the receptacle [fixture] plug ins. This causes a high resistance which gets worse as time goes on, eventually nothing works. Here's a rough diagram of a typical track system.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =