Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with using my German 220 Volts kitchen applience in USA

I have this German kitchen 220 volts applience. It draws 2000 Watts power. It is essentially a water heater but it is a tea maker that in the East it is called "Samavar".

I wish to use it here in the USA. I searched for a trasformer but they are too big for my power need!

I then came across the idea to mount a 220 volts outlet in the wall. This I was going to do by drawing wire from the same source where my 220 stove is pluged in. As you know, this is common now in new homes to have at least two 220 volts floor receptcals, one for the dryer and the other for the range.

Can experts here tell me if the latter solution is optimum? Is there any other way?

My Kitchen applience runs with both 50HZ and 60HZ cycles.

Thanks in advance,

Voyoager
    Last edited by voyoager; 01-30-2006, 12:25 PM.

Don't you dare run it off the range receptacle. Although it only draws 8.3 amps the range circuit is protected by a 40 or 60 amp circuit breaker, not 15 or 20 which is meant for small appliance branch circuits. The tea heater will probably work on 120 volts but take twice as long to heat up.

Comment

voyoager,

Out of curiosity...in Germany, do they make 220 over there by combining 2 separate legs of 110, the way they do here?...OR, do they have 220 coming in one hot wire and the other wire is neutral?

Comment

HayZee15,

Thank you much for the warning. If this works out, I will draw a whole new line from the circuit breaker!

Phelps,

I have no idea about your question. Can anybody answer that here?

What difference does it make either way? can you explain?

Thanks,

Voyoager

Comment

I will try to explain better if I can.

In the U.S., 220 volts is created at a 220 recepticle by taking a 110 wire and hooking it up to one terminal in a 220 volt rated recepticle. Then you take another 110 wire and hook it up to the other terminal in the receptical, and it make 220.

But if your appliance pulls 220 through just one wire, at 60 hertz, and exits to ground after passing through your appliance, the current flow would be one direction and I wouo dhave to think that the windings of YOUR 220 volt motor would be different...because...with the 220 we use here, the current flow is both coming AND going, to create the 220.

And is it 220 ac over there, as opposed to say 220 dc? That is even another matter.

I think I am going to Google something like "220 volt European appliances" once and see if I can find something.

Comment

European 220 volts is generated at 220 volts to ground. One leg to neutral s 220 volts. Voltages in Europe is kinda wierd NOT the way we are used to it in the US. 220 three phase is the same - a wye setup with the midpoint grounded. The generator is setup with all three legs at 220 volts to a midpoint which is at zero volts and at ground potential.
            380 volts is not uncommon, 480 is common. 600 volts for an appliance is not uncommon.
            Most motors have nine connections with jumpers for their connections.
            Sometimes you run into a motor with 12 connections - not uncommon.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =