Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding an outlet

My husband and I are remodeling our laundry/mud room by taking down a wall and door frame which separate the garage door entrance from the laundry room. There is one switch on the wall inside the laundry room that operates a flourescent light fixture(I'll call #4). On the other side of the wall there is a 3 gang box which operates in order from the entrance, 1) a flood light for the parking area outside the garage 2) a flourescent light fixture in the garage and 3) two incandescent ceiling fixtures in the entrance hallway. Switch #3 is a three way switch. I'd like to move all 4 switches to a 4 gang PVC old work box I bought at Lowe's. What I'd really like is to change one of these switches to a duplex outlet so that we can use an iron in the new room. The only other outlets are a 220v for the dryer and a duplex oulet on the same wall that is used to power the washing machine and an alarm for the lift station sump pump for our septic tank. I know that outlets should have 12g romex and switches 14g. There will be a switch free because we plan on replacing the flourescent fixture and the ceiling fixture closest to the entrance door with a 5 light halogen flexible Monorail track fixture(150W floating transformer is included) which will span the ceiling where the wall used to be. Can switch 3, or preferably 4, be converted to a duplex outlet? I have purchased, for aesthetic and color matching purposes, 3 new switches and a GFCI outlet, as well as 25 ft of 12/2 and 25 ft of 14/2 romex cable for this job. Any help is appreciated.

After you move everything into the new box, just pull in another 12/2 for the washer. It should be a dedicated circuit anyway.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =