Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is aluminum okay?

I am wanting to do a run from my garage to a future site for a slab. the length is about 80 feet or so and the slab will hold about 200 amps (going to be half shop and half billiard room-- basic 110 outlets, one or two 220 outlets, and lighting). my father-in-law has about 100 feet of 2/0, maybe 1/0, aluminum cable, leftover from Entergy, the local utility company. It's the same wire they ran from a transformer to a outside breaker box and then about 50 ft underground to go up into a mobile home.

I was always taught to use copper wire but here, the utility company used aluminum and there's plenty left over to do what I need. Is it okay to use it?

Aluminum wire is used all the time for feeder cable when over 8 Gauge, though the torque requirements must be adheared to and anti-oxidant applied at the connections. It's the smaller gauge stuff that is dangerous and not used anymore. As always you should verify with your local inspection department as local codes vary.

Comment

Thanks for sharing a point to notice..!!

Comment

If you'll notice the original posting is well over four years old. Aluminum or type ASCR is used on ranges and service entrances ONLY! ASCR means Aluminum, Steel Reinforced core. Branch circuits NEVER use aluminum. Branch circuits USED to use 12 ga for a 15 amp circuit, 10 gauge for a 20 amp circuit and 8 gauge for a 30 amp circuit. Nowadays it is never used.

Comment

Aluminum Wire Is Still Permitted and Still Used

All respect due, but the National Electric Code and International Residential Codes still permit the use of Aluminum cable at any gage for any branch circuit, feeder or service cable.

While it is not commonly used, aluminum cable is still used and still permitted to be used.

The issue becomes more one of having to install devices, connectors, panels, and boxes that are compatible with aluminum cable...which can be more expensive or confusing to one not used to working with aluminum.

But to say it is never used or not permitted for branch circuit wiring is simply wrong.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =