Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom Vanity light to code?

Hi,

I was trying to replace my bathroom vanity light this weekend and was unable due to the electrical box being installed horizontally between two studs. The prior light was one of those hollywood lights and so could be screwed into studs due to its width. My new light had a smaller circular based and needed be attached directly to the electrical box, which couldn't be done due to it not being able to handle any sort of weight.

Does anyone know whether its part of the electrical code for boxes for lights to be attached to studs? Just wondering whether I should bother my builder about fixing the box since the home is only 3 years old. Seems to me like the bathroom vanity light was installed as an after thought since it's not attached to a stud, which would have been done during the framing and before the drywall.

Thanks,
    Rob

Sounds like your builder installed an "old work box" instead of a "new work box". The difference is that the new work box will be nailed to the side of a stud and the old work box will be held in place by the ears on the box.

It's perfectly leagal to install an old work box and they will hold very nicely if installed properly. You can take a look at the link below which is a picture of an old work box. You will notice that there is an "ear" on the bottom and top of the box. When the corner screws on the box are screwed in tight, these ears will be flipped up and squeeze tight the drwall between the ears and the front flange of the box.
    http://doityourself.com/store/6148266.htm

It sounds like your box isn't screwed in tight enough and is hanging on the wall. Try tightening up on the corner screws on the box. If it still doesn't hold tight then perhaps the ears did not flip out and you'll need to unscrew the screws, remove the box and install a new one.

The link below will also help in showing you how these boxs work and how the ears hold them in place. Let us know if you need any further advise.
    http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...oldworkbox.htm
    Last edited by kactuskid; 02-20-2006, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply kactuskid.
      Do you think the electrical box will be strong enough to hold a light that weighs about 25-40 pounds? Here's what the light looks like:
      Progress Lighting is your destination for exceptional indoor and outdoor lighting fixtures. Explore our extensive collection and elevate your space with stunning designs, unmatched quality, and functionality.

~Rob

Comment

No, these old work boxs are only rated for about 6 pounds max. So, you can remove the old work box from the wall and then install a metal box that has a bracket that is pressure screwed into the studs on either side of the box. These are normally used for ceiling fan installations but are also good for heavier wall fixtures. Make sure you buy the type that is screwed in by hand and not the type that needs to have screws drilled into the studs to attach the bracket. Below is another link showing you what they look like
        http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/prin...767799,00.html

Here's even a better picture of what the remodeling type fan brace looks like
        http://www.westinghouseceilingfans.com/ac_fanbrace.html
        Last edited by kactuskid; 02-20-2006, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Awesome. That's just what I need. Thanks for the help.

Rob

Comment

It seems to me that the box was cut into the wall after the sheetrock was put up in this case a 2X4 box old work box. or an octagon old work box. These boxes are a standard size meaning you're not going to find a smaller one.

Comment

So I went out and bought a fan brace. Does it matter that the light is mounted on the wall and not on the ceiling for the brace? Will the brace work just as well if it's on the wall in the bathroom?

Also the builder technician stopped by today and took a look at the outlet. He said that the electrician told him those boxes were rated for up to 40lbs and I could just flip the box 90 degrees to make it work with my light. Does the fact that it's installed in the wall vs the ceiling make any difference on the weight capacity?

Thanks for all your help,
              Rob

Comment

The fan brace will work just fine in a wall application. It's not the drywall that keeps these braces secure. They are secured to the studs and if installed properly and tight will hold well. This is way different than the old work boxs which are held in place with the ears squeezing on the drywall. I personally would never trust one to hold 40 lbs. No way

Comment

Working...
                X
                =