Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• twin breakers are loose

I have a full 200 amp Cutler Hammer panel in my house. I would like to add circuits, and one option is to replace some existing breakers with twins. The problem is, the twins don't lock in place like they are supposed to. Instead they remain a little loose (with the panel cover off). A local electrician suggested I could just install the panel cover to hold the twin breakers in place, but this doesn't sound right to me.

Does this sound legal?

It sounds dangerous as heck. Your local electrician doesn't sound like any electrician I'd want working for me

How many breaker spaces are in your panel. And what is the model number on the panel? The number of allowed breakers will be part of the manufacture data that's on the inside sticker of your panel. It may say 20-30 or something like 32-42. This will mean how many, if any, tandem breakers are allowed in your panel. Some have spaces for these at the bottom, the lower spaces on the buss bar. If they're not allowed in this panel then it's dangerous to even think about putting them in there. Then you would need to install a subpanel for any new circuits.

Comment

I investigated the capacity of the panel a little while back and determined there are no spaces on the panel that accept the twin breakers properly.

This post was a last ditch effort before going through the planning of putting in a sub-panel... I'll start a new thread for that one. Thanks

Comment

Then your findings have been confirmed. Let us know when you're ready to install a sub and we'll be happy to help you out.

Comment

Loose breakers are very scary. The covers are for protecting the open spaces within the panel NOT for holding breakers in place. There should be sufficient spring power in the breaker stabs to keep them firmly held in place on the bus stabs. Some breakers manufactured merely have the black bakelite as a safe cover for the internal workings. The actual metal breaker innerds are relatively tight. However if any of you journeyman electricians remember the ol FPE panels (Federal Pacific) you'll remember the panels made up of the D and half D bus stabs. The breakers would snap into place in the bus strip. The stabs made of copper wouldn't stay in place without the cover in place. Take off the cover and the breakers would fall out!!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =