Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Bathroom Heater/Fan/Light

Going to replace my current Fan/Light in the bathroom that is mounted in the ceiling over the shower stall. Want to replace it with a similar Fan/Light/Heater assembly (Nutone Model QT9093CH). Looking at the installation manual for this model and saw the following;

IMPORTANT: DO NOT INSTALL OVER TUB OR SHOWER STALL
    INCLOSURE.

Is there any electrical code violation (live in NY state) if I were to install it over the shower enclosure? I this warning just in case you spray the unit and electrocute yourself?

It's in case you invite Shaq to come shower and he looks up at the ceiling and goes, "What's this?" And he pokes his fingers up in the heater coils while water is up to his ankles.

What is the design of your electrical wiring serving the bathroom? Do you have like 2 switches by the door?: One for one light and one for ceiling fan, or something like this? perhaps if you didn't want to fill in the old bath fan cut out in the ceiling and get involved in the attic running new (longer) duct to the new location and all that...that if you added a gfci next to the switch(es) and then put the fan circuit on the load side of the GFCI...or...replaced your bathroom circuit breaker with a gfci circuit breaker.

Let's wait to hear from others on this.

Comment

Sir, I live in NY state - upstate. I also lived in Massachusetts for 29 years and their code says nothing over the tub enclosure. I was licensed with a masters and journeyman's ticket for 42 years. I imagine NY to be the same. I have never installed anything cept a vaportight fixture over or in a shower stall. Unless a fixture is listed to be installed in a water vapor-ous atmosphere, I'd keep anything out of or over a shower stall or tub.

Comment

Fan/Heater/Light Install

If nothing is to be install, per code, above a shower or bath enclosure then all the bathrooms in this 1974 house are out of code. There has to be at least a light or the shower stall would be not have enough light to see clearly.
        I can't think of any reason (other than the Shaq warning) not to have the exaust fan above the shower stall, if you wanted to exaust the vapor from the shower.

Comment

Current Light/Fan

The current Nutone Light/Fan has the light switch by the door and the fan switch on the wall a couple of feet from the shower stall. The installation of the new assembly should be simple by replacing the unit, running two wires to the switch box on the wall now containing one switch for the fan. Replacing the single switch with the 3 switch unit sold for these units. One would be for the heater, one for the fan and one for the night light. The switch by the door would still control the main light. I believe the circut breaker for this bathroom is a GFCI breaker.

Comment

HayZee has just cited code though. And code is code.

Somebody probably went and added these on their own. Or, someone said, "screw code...nobody 'll know". Or, in 1976, when they passed the UBC (Uniform Building Code), this rule got added. One of the three.

The reason why I told you what to do is the fact you already have a fan there. The fact that many rentals I work in have regular bath fans in the showers. And of these, all have been installed off the load side of a GFCI.

Bear in mind though that a GFCI does not prevent shock. I know first had as I was surprised when I received a jolt by one, and THEN it tripped out. The idea is that they trip out in milliseconds. But, they still pas electricity for those milliseconds, first. The reason most people die from electrocution on 120 volt is that they are grabbed by the current and can't move their muscles, until this process sends their heart into an irregular rythm and ceases.

But...code is code.

As far as your light situation goes, you can see plenty well if light is outside the shower stall , nearby, as it will shine in over the top of the shower curtain or glass doors.

It is your house, and your call on this. But you have been warned by someone who knows code.

Comment

Originally posted by iretire2002
              The current Nutone Light/Fan has the light switch by the door and the fan switch on the wall a couple of feet from the shower stall. The installation of the new assembly should be simple by replacing the unit, running two wires to the switch box on the wall now containing one switch for the fan. Replacing the single switch with the 3 switch unit sold for these units. One would be for the heater, one for the fan and one for the night light. The switch by the door would still control the main light. I believe the circut breaker for this bathroom is a GFCI breaker.
              It's your call, like I said. Bear this one thing in mind though: If there was an accident and it came time to collect from the insurance company...they would not pay. It's your call.

Comment

These units do not need to be installed within a shower encloser in order to adequatly exhaust the moisture from the room. Your new heat/fan/light unit SHOULD NOT be installed within the shower encloser, doesn't matter what NY state code says. The manufacuturer has explicitly stated not to do so. This unit also REQUIRES, per the manufacturer, it's own dedicated 20 amp circuit using 12 gauge wire. So it is also a violation to install this new unit in place of the existing unit and use the same circuit for ANYTHING else.

We all assume you want to install your device in the proper and safe manner it was meant to be installed. If you are looking for someone to agree with you that it is fine and dandy to install this unit in a wet area then you'd be better off getting your advice from someplace that doesn't know what they're talking about. Unfortunalty some folks can be their own worse enemies when they try to surcumvent the established safety requirements to fit their own needs.

Comment

Fan/Heater/Light Install

Thanks for all your responses. This is the master bath and there is room to move the Fan/Heater/Light assembly to the center of the room out from over the shower stall. Have some messy ceiling repair though. Have to decide what to do with the other two bath rooms that have a Fan/Light directly over the bath tub.

One of you also mention the fact that the unit calls for it's own 20 amp service. Was trying to ignore this but knew that I was going to have to run a new wire. Good job for when it gets above 30 degrees (not for a while yet).

Comment

I erred in my post #2, and this should be disregarded as I forgot about the part about him wanting a fan with a heater in it. I was thinking about regular bath fans, too much, I guess. No way could you have both an outlet (full circuit hairdryers) and a heating element on that same circuit. Silly me.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =