Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detached Garage Grounding - Do I install another ground rod or run 4 #4s from my main

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detached Garage Grounding - Do I install another ground rod or run 4 #4s from my main

I have two stories. 1 Electrician telling me I need to install a grounding rod next to my detached garage and run 3 #4s back to my main panel.

2nd electrician telling me to run 4 #4s back to my main panel.

which one is correct?

Also what size conduit would you use?

thx guys!!

I just finished a month or so a garage panel install for my own detached garage with a 60 amp panel. Code here says that all detached structures with panels MUST be grounded by means of a grounding rod and #6 solid ground.
    As for the grounding back to the main board again here with my 60 amp garage panel I had to run a #6 ground wire back to the main panel.

In regards to your conduit question it will depend on just how many wires you need run back (why more than one return ground I don't know). I have attached a conduit calc. for you just fill in the blanks and it will give you the code sizes calcs.

Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

The second. Plus the ground rod, with the #6 armored.
      Illegitimas non-carborundum

Comment

Will a number the # 4 work in lieu of the # 6? I already bought a 500 foot spool. Guess I could take it back.

BTW thanks for the replys!!!!

Comment

You definatly want to run 4 wires plus install a ground rod. The #6 ground wire is important cause the ground kit on the panel won't accept a #4 wire, but, you can purchase a connector to accomidate the #4. It connects to the ground bar. What is the make/model of panel you're installing?

And there are also important rules when installing a subpanel, like making sure you throw away the green bonding screw so the ground and the neutral buss bars are separted.

Here's a link that'll show you what is required based on your particular situation. Scroll down on the left side of the link for diagrams as well.

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/homew...rage/index.htm
          Last edited by kactuskid; 03-25-2006, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =