Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP!!!! master electrical switch illegal??

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!!! master electrical switch illegal??

Hi guys i'm new to this forum, i really need to know if the master switch like the one below, which is usually outside of the house... the one can shut off all the electricity..

IF That switch is built INSIDE of the house instead of OUTSIDE.

According to law, is that illegal?? (CA, Los Angeles)
    If it is illegal, where can i find the law that states it is illegal.

help me out please, thanks in advance.

Why are you asking?

The meter looks to be the style that is read by telemetry, and the utility isn't complaining.

So, if it ain't broke, don't fix-it.
    Illegitimas non-carborundum

Comment

It appears to me that the meter enclosure is of the weatherproof design however there is no disconnecting means visible. That means the MAIN is inside the dwelling at the MAIN panel. The alternate source disconnect IS NOT a weatherproof design as it shows. All this does is disconnect the alternate source from the panel and DOES NOT disconnect the regular means of power.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518
        It appears to me that the meter enclosure is of the weatherproof design however there is no disconnecting means visible. That means the MAIN is inside the dwelling at the MAIN panel. The alternate source disconnect IS NOT a weatherproof design as it shows. All this does is disconnect the alternate source from the panel and DOES NOT disconnect the regular means of power.
        This appears to be a typical GE service entrance panel and has an integral disconnect.

It is also typical to find this configuration when someone has enclosed a porch. Which makes the non-weathertigt installation appear acceptable
        Illegitimas non-carborundum

Comment

I'm not sure if in your area that it is ilegle or not, but about 20 years ago I sold my home in Neptune City, N.J. and they made me get an electrical upgrade (We had screw in fuses) when it was completed the main breaker was outside, when I questioned this I was told by the building inspector that it was so the fire company could shut off power to the house before attempting to enter or spraying any water. Makes sense to me, water and electricity do not mix, also keeps from having to disrupt power to the neighbors whilst they are fighting a fire in the area
          If you think a professional is expensive,
          Just see what till you see what an amature will cost you!!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =