Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting with close clearance and/or no ground

My question title is kind of vague, because I don't really know how to describe these two questions. I tried to replace an outside and an inside porch light on our 1924 house and ran into a couple of problems. Both of the existing lights use 3-wire romex.

The inside light didn't have any sort of junction box in the ceiling because the ceiling is made of solid strips of wood? I couldn't see how wide the planks were because they are covered with sheetrock, but I think they are just finished 2x4 strips. Whatever was typical in 1924 for outdoor porch ceilings. The porch was originally constructed as an outside porch, and was later walled in to make it inside living space. Can I just hole saw through the planks if they are 2x4's? I may end up cutting one of them in half during the process. Or do I even need a junction box... maybe it's safe because the ceiling is solid? The previous owners just drilled a small hole big enough for the romex to fit through between the planks.

The outside light wasn't using the ground wire on the Romex, instead they just used the white and black wire. The black wire went into some sort of small plastic box and three wires came out of the box. One red wire, one blue wire, and one black. Does anyone have any idea what this box is? Maybe it's something that can be used instead of ground? Thanks in advance.

Okay... I may have answered my own questions. I might be able to use a really shallow 4" ceiling fan box on my ceiling for the light.. to eliminate cutting my porch ceiling.

The three-wire device on the outside was most likely a nonfunctional photo-eye and the previous owners didn't use the ground because they cut the cable too short couldn't reach it... arghh. Is it safe to wire a light fixture without a ground?

Comment

The outdoor light should be installed with the ground wire attached.

Are you able to attach a pigtail to the existing ground to enable it to reach the light ?
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =