Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patio Wiring under concrete...

Hi,
    I would like to run about 12' of new wire from an exitising outdoor outlet (GFCI) mounted on a fence made of cinder blocks, to a new outlet (GFCI) under a current concrete slab that would be located under our patio table for rope lighting the umbrella, ect. I would have to cut a stip of concrete out to lay the new wire. I do understand that the GFCI Box would need to be mounted at least 1' off the ground, and we do have an inground swimming pool about 15-20 feet away. My queston is how deep should I cut through the concrete, and what kind on wire should I use. Also would I run the new wire through piping like conduit or PVC under the concrete slab?
    Any other tips would be greatly apreciated!

Thank You!
    Rod

For most 4" thick slabs you have to cut all the way through them and then dig down 8", lay 1/2" or 3/4" conduit and run underground cable inside this conduit.
    The cable must be suited for wet locations, as inside conduit is still clased as a wet location (humidity etc...)

You could also cut the slab, dig down 18" and direct bury cable (suited for direct bury) but you still have to run conduit from the 18" depth upwards to 12" out of grade to house the wire.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Cut the concrete just slightly wider then the width of a plumbers trenching shovel.
      Conyact your local building authority regarding the required trench depth conduit and direct buriel application.
      In some jurisdictions, mine in praticular. When using plastic conduit, the sweep and verticle riser must be metalic pipe.
      This also applies to direct burial, in that it must be sleeved.

ENCASING ROMEX OF ANY KIND, IN CONDUIT, OF ANY KIND, IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.
      Illegitimas non-carborundum

Comment

Thanks for your help!

I didn't think I would have to dig that deep. I'll have to see if I can get some dynamite from Craigslist to make the job easier.
        Thanks for your input.
        Rod

Comment

Working...
        X
        =