Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blown something

I think I hurt something. I was swapping a normal switch for a dimmer switch. Then there were sparks. Now nothing in my house works. Even when I flip the main breaker everything stay dark.
    So here's how it happened:
    I replaced the normal switch. (now I have a normal switch and a dimmer switch side by side) The cover plate is in place on the dimmer switch and as I was putting the normal switch in position, a wire touched the metal box behind the drywall. That is when the spark happened.
    Am I wrong in saying this happened because the wire touched the box? Maybe it was because of swapping the switches, I don't know.
    If so, why is all of the power out in my house, and not just a blown fuse for my living room?
    I am in the dark, but my neighbors are kind.
    Thank you
    Spencer

Crazy! No electrical in the entire house! There is a main breaker, switch it on and off a few times to make sure it isn't tripped too. Make sure you turn the breaker off before you turn it back on. Sometimes when big breakers like that trip, it is hard to reset them. Listen for a click.

Does that help?

Let us know when you get your lights back on!
    Try

Comment

Hey guess what? I have lights now. I woke up this morning and I thought I would try it again. After flipping the main switch a couple of times, it reset and then God said "Let there be light."
      This is a great forum because you can find lots of smart people who have good knowledge of these things. I will come back if I come across any other home repair problems. Thanks for responding, Troy.
      Spencer

Comment

Working...
      X
      =