Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripping Armored Cable (BX?)

Hello, everyone, we're running 14/3 (14/2 w/g) armored cable, I think it's called BX (flexible aluminum w/ wires already in it) to a bunch of fluorescent lights. the wires from the ballast inside are kind of short, and the grounding screw is like dead center in these 8 foot lights. So we'll need to run about 4' of wire inside. Except this BX cable is like impossible to stip back the metal jacket. Is there an easier way to strip it? or should i just make some 4' pigtails inside the lights?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Kidd6488; 05-14-2006, 03:17 PM.
    ~Jonathon Reinhart

You can buy a armored cable cutter that'll make the job really easy

http://www.seatekco.com/armored.htm

Comment

Well, I got thru the job w/o having to unravel 4 feet at the time. what i ended up doing was just bend/twisting the cable at the point i wanted to strip to, until it popped apart. Then i was able to further bend/twist until i could get a cutter in and slide the piece off.
      ~Jonathon Reinhart

Comment

easiest way to strip bx is with a special cutter or from the old school - a hacksaw. at the point you want to strip it, bend the armor into a sharp 90 and cut across the direction the armor is wrapped. just cut through the armor trying not to hit the conductors, then twist the armor backwards against the wrapped direction until the armor snaps. take the loose end and near the cut grab hold of the armor and twist in opposite directions of the wrap a few turns and pull. the cut end should come right off!

Comment

Working...
        X
        =