Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on electric stove

I was given a old eletric stove and need to run a new line from panel box.The stove now is hooked to 40amp breaker .I went to store and they sold me 8/2 wire and outlet my ? is i have one black,white wire and bare ground.the outlet has three wire hookups is the bottom one for a bare groung or should it be a netural and if it is for bare ground do i hook it up to ground side in the panel box.
    Thanks

The store sold you the wrong cable to install. Current code requires that the cable be 8-3/G for new installations. This means there are 2 hot conductors, one neutral conductor and a ground wire. The receptacle must also be a 4 prong receptacle. You must also install a 4 prong cord on the back of your range in replacement of the current 3 prong cord. There will be a grounding strap on the back of the stove if it has a 3 prong cord currently attached. This ground strap must be removed when installing the new 4 prong cord to ensure the neutral wire and the stoves frame are kept separate from one another.

Below is a link that shows exactly what you'll need and how it is required to be installed and connected. The link address's a dryers cord but it is the exact same for an electric stove execept the wires gauge you'll need for a 40 amp breaker will be 8-3/G. Make sure you check the manufacturer's name plate on this old stove to be sure it does require a 40 amp breaker and not a 50 amp breaker as most newer stoves do. If this is the case then you'll need 6-3/G cable instead.

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/switc...ryer/index.htm

I'd really suggest that you install a copper 6-3/G cable instead of the 8 gauge wire. All new stoves require 6 gauge wire and a 50 amp breaker, so if this old stove ever dies you'll just need to replace the 40 amp breaker with a 50 amp sized one and won't need to also replace the entire cable. These cable sizes are correct for copper wiring and not aluminum.
    Last edited by kactuskid; 05-29-2006, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =