Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Power in the Basement

I just bought this home 3 months ago and I'm having problems with my power outlets in the basement, the club room to be exact. I have tested all outlets and none are giving power. The laundry room, which is in the basement, IS giving power. This problem seems strange to me because the lights in the club room were working fine a week ago. I checked the circuit breaker and all switches are on. I thought a GFCI was to blame, but I found no GFCI outlets in the basement. Can anyone help? Thanks.

A.

If you don't know which circuit breaker provides power to your club room then you'll need to open your main breaker to be sure you won't get zapped while troubleshooting. If you're sure there are no GFCI anywhere then the best thing to do is to open each receptacle box in this room and the switch box and make sure you have no loose or open connections.

If the wires are stuck in the little holes in the backs of the receptacles or switch then remove them and wrap them around the screws on the sides. These backstabbed holes are the cause of lots of loose connections. You should also check the connections under any wirenuts to make sure they're good and tight, pull on them to be sure.

If that doesn't fix the problem then you'll need to also check the light fixture connections. You could also have a loose connection at the last WORKING receptacle on this circuit. So if the laundry room's circuit is the same as the club room, then the last working one may have a loose wire also. You'll find the loose connection, just have to be dilligent. Let us know how it goes,

Make sure you write on your main panel box which breaker controls this room once you've got it fixed, you may also want to map out the rest of your circuits so you won't have to shut them all off the next time a problem occurs. The following link will show you how to do this. Good Luck

http://www.easy2.com/cm/easy/diy_ht_...ge_id=35693919
    Last edited by kactuskid; 05-29-2006, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =