Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plug for Stove

I had to move 3-pronged plug for my stove and did not shut down electricity(Big Mistake). My screwdriver touched a lead and there was a big pop with a blackened spot on the wall(Good Grief). The circuit breaker shut down the circuit. Upon moving the breaker to the on position, the digital clock on the stove runs but the burners do not even get warm. I replaced the outlet and still no luck. Any suggestions? Should I call an electrician for this one?
    Thanks,
    Larry (Non-electrican)
    [:I][:I][:I][:I]

Larry,

Welcome to the forum.

The stove connection consists of two 120v , one neutral connection and one ground. The clock runs off of one of the 120v. The stove runs off both the 120's together. So it sounds like the connector was damaged at the wall or you blew one of the fuses (normally found along the top or back of the clock console). I would check out the fuses first then using a multi-meter check the voltage from the outlet behind the stove.

You should find the voltage between the between either of the hots (black & Red) and the ground or neutral(white) terminals should therefore be 120v and you will find 240v between the two hots.

Hope this helps, please let us know how you make out, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Jimmer,
      Thanx for your quick response. The stove was not plugged in when the accident happened. I am assuming that my problem is at the connector. I have to pick up a voltmeter at HD today to check the voltage at the plug. I will get back and let you know the verdict.
      thanx
      Larry

Comment

Got the voltage tester and it appears that I am getting voltage from only one of the hots. The guy at HD says that I may have burnt out one of the circuit breakers.

Comment

Larry,

That would be a bit odd but anything is possible (Including the possibility that your new plug was defective from the beginning). A circuit breaker is designed to 'trip' when shorted, not burn out. I would turn the double breaker off and examine the inside of the outlet box. Also you could remove the wires from the back of the plug and test for power on the bare wire ends (be careful) with the circuit turned back on. Also try flipping the double breaker off and on a couple of times.

Good luck, Jim

Comment

I got my plug fixed but I had to call someone to do it. I didn't want to play around with the electrical panel since I had never replaced a breaker before. It turns out that one of the circuit breakers on the double breaker got messed up.I watched the guy do it and it was real simple. The circuit breaker had to be replaced. He said that the circuit was constructed with aluminum wire and that wasn't good. It cost me 100 bucks and it took the guy about 20 minutes. Was that a lot for a retired electrician or am I living in the dinosaur ages? LOL. If there is a next time I think that i can do it myself. Thanx for your advice and help.
            Larry

Comment

Working...
            X
            =