Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about vertical wiring

I'm running new network and telephone cabling in my house, and can't figure out what the code requires for the vertical (riser) wiring. Is the plenum type wire required? Does it have to be in sealed conduit? I'm running cables from the basesment up to the second floor, from one network box to another. There will be 4 cat 5E cables, a network backbone and spare, and telephone backbone and spare. Does any of this make any sense? Hopefully it will, thanks in advance for the help.

Herb

Plenum is required when the cable will be run through an air return path, usualy when above ceiling in commercial installation is being used as a return path for the HVAC. I have never seen it needed in a home installation.

At least in my area, it does not need to be run in conduit in homes.

You just need cat5e riser cable, which means it is rated to run up more than one floor.

Do you have a path to run it? A chase or something? You'll be fine with cat5e non-plenum riser cable...

Comment

Originally posted by handyandy
      Plenum is required when the cable will be run through an air return path, usualy when above ceiling in commercial installation is being used as a return path for the HVAC. I have never seen it needed in a home installation.

At least in my area, it does not need to be run in conduit in homes.

You just need cat5e riser cable, which means it is rated to run up more than one floor.

Do you have a path to run it? A chase or something? You'll be fine with cat5e non-plenum riser cable...

Well, I'm going to make a chase basically, I'm going to run pvc conduit beside an old unused laundry chute, not inside the chute, but beside it. It runs from my basement, through a closet in the first floor into a bedroom upstairs, that is used now as a closet. It's a "bedroom", really a nursery, it's only 9'X9', and it's been turned into a walk-in closet and dressing room. I'm going to locate a network board there, with a network switch, and a 9 location telephone punchdown. That way, I don't have to run multiple cables from the basement up to the second floor. I was planning to use the riser type cable, but didn't know if I'd need plenum cable or not. Thanks for the help.

Comment

No plenum cabling is necessary as it is not run within an air handling duct. For example an elevator shaft would be listed as an air handling device even thought it isn't really air rated. trunk spaces between wall studs isn't air handling even though there's air inside. cat 5E cat 5 and rg 6 can be run without being in conduit. it must be at least 24" away from and not run parrallel with power conductors. corner transistions should be smooth and gradual not an abrupt ninety. fasten using plastic nail ons - not metal staples or through bored holes at joist center or stud centers. cable derating is not necessary as there isn't any "power" involved. if you are installing in a vertical run conduit, provide a tapered plug at the upper run termination to keep the cable from slipping down back towards the basement. make it out of hard "foam" insulation and splay out the cables.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518
          if you are installing in a vertical run conduit, provide a tapered plug at the upper run termination to keep the cable from slipping down back towards the basement. make it out of hard "foam" insulation and splay out the cables.
          Wow, excellent suggestion, didn't think about that, it will work great! Thanks again.
          Herb

Comment

Working...
          X
          =