Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sure it's a common code question

But I don't know the answer.

I presently have an electrical outlet very near a bathroom sink. the outlet is, of course, GFCI protected. But even so, it seems odd to have an outlet so close to water. Are there any codes (in wide usage) regarding a minimum distance? I think my local authority just follows the NEC.

The outlet is about 13 inches to the side of the center of the sink basin and about 7 inches higher than the top of the sink. The outlet faces the sink as the sink is in a corner and the outlet is on a wall at the side of the sink.

I can envison someone's shaver cord slipping out of the shaver, maybe landing in a sink full of water. (I can't explain why anyone would have a sink full of water while using an electric shaver, but it could happen). Some electric shavers are still 120V (that is, the cord does not step down the voltage or limit the current). I suppose the GFCI would trigger if any current flowed to ground through the water, but it still seems an awkward situation and better to prevent it by design.

I'm interested in what the code says, of course, but also in opinions of the experts.

Tom

all the code says is that there must be a dedicated 20 ampere, gfci protected circuit, adjacent to any lavatory sink. It doesn't specify height or distance from a sink or lavatory. but interpreting the code isn't that clear either. from personal experience I would say adjacent to the sink at least 6 inches above any backsplash be it on the front or sides of a sink or lavatory enclosure. by enclosure I mean any area formed as a "cubbyhole" using studs and wall support members for a single or double sink in a countertop whether manufactured or field built.

Comment

thanks - and question

thanks, Hayzee!

I have the opportunity to access the bathroom outlet due to some remodeling in an adjacent room. the outlet is presently not 20 amp. I can make a new run of #12 from the breaker box. Would a GFCI breaker for this one outlet meet the requirement, or does it have to be a GFCI outlet? The box is kinda small and a GFCI outlet may not fit.

Tom

Comment

the choice is yours. a gfci breaker will fit a standard 1 inch space. I'd put in a receptacle because if it trips, its easier to reset it there, than having to go trapsing downstairs to the panel.

Comment

thankgs again, Hayzee, for taking time to answer this and other questions.

Tom

Comment

Not to mention that a GFCI breaker will cost about 3x more than the outlet...

Comment

Working...
            X
            =