Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Electric to a Rolling Work Table

My uncle gave me an old well built work table/storage unit with 18" "backsplash" on the back of it. It has wheels on the bottom and I want to be able to roll it out on my back patio and work. It is 10' long and I am going to mount 3 electrical boxes and EMT along the back and put outlets and connect them in series. To feed the boxes I want to attach a 25' cord that I am able to plug in so I can versatile in where I use the table. The garage outlets are on a 20amp circuit. Everything is wired in 12 gauge solid copper and thats what I plan wiring the outlets with. My question is what gauge of cord should I use? Also what type of wire? Can I lop off the end of a 25' 12/3 extension cord and hook it up? Or should i buy some bulk 12/3 or 10/3 and put a plug on it? Off these outlets I plan on running a 2hp router, 3 hp 10" table saw, 3hp compound mitre saw, 4hp shop vac, jig saw of course not all at the same time. The most I would run at the same time is the shop vac and the router. I am pretty experienced with electrical but just want to make sure I do this right.

Hello, you need 12 gage 3 wire solid it is for all 20 amp circuits 120 volts plus a gfi for the main circuit must be installed first in line of the main power and a 12 gage cord will be more that plenty for what you want , be sure to install a gfi in the curcuit first sometimes a 15 amp gfi will trip if you use a gfi with power tools make it all 20 amp and you will be good to go!

Comment

use 12-3 SJO or SJ cordage for the whip. use #12 thhn/thwn for the outlet wires and wire them in parallel not in series as you state.

Comment

Whats wrong with running them in series?

Whats wrong with running them in series? Parallel is where all hots and neutrals going to each outlet to the cord?

Comment

maybe you are confused about wiring is series and parallel. in series one wire goes to the neutral, then another wire goes from the other terminal to the next outlet in the string etc. in parallel, a pair goes to the first outlet, then another pair goes to the next outlet and so on. let me explain it this way - the old xmas tree lights the larger bulbs are wired in parallel. the newer ones are wired in series. if one bulb blows out in a series connection the whole string would go out. in a parallel string if one bulb should blow out, the rest would stay lit.

Comment

I got series and parallel mixed up. I figured it out yesterday after I thought about it. Last night I picked up the wire and all my supplies I needed and went to work. In the end everything works great and came out exactly as I planned it to. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =