Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 40A safe is 45A is listed?

I bought a used GE electric kitchen range but the outlet cord was not included. The instructions on the back of the range states "Use a 3 conductor, if required, 4 conductor range cord set as listed below."

Type Length Rating
    3 Cond. 4 ft. 50A-250V
    4 Cond. 4 ft. 45A-250V

The guy at Home Depot sold us 4-wire range power cord with rating 40A 125/250V, 8/2, 10/2 SRDT. He said it would work.

My question is the instructions list a 4 conductor to have a 45A rating. The cord I bought has a 40A. Would it be safe to use or should I return it?

The electric outlet in the home wall is a three prong outlet. I will have to change it to accommodate a 4 conductor. Is this something I can do myself or should it be done by an electrician?

new installations require by code a four wire cord and receptacle. existing installations can use a three wire cord and three wire receptacle. the 8-2 the home depot guy gave you will work. the two outside conductors go to the two outside terminals on the range. the center goes to the middle terminal on the range. there should be a jumper strap from the middle terminal to the range frame. if there isn't you are required to install one. a piece of #8 solid will suffice.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I understand the two outside conductors and middle go to but the 8-2 cord has four wires - one black, green, red and white. There is already a jumper strap from the middle to the range. Where do I attach the fourth cord?

Comment

does your existing installation have a three prong receptacle? if so take the four wire cord back and get a three wire cord. he gave you the wrong one. sometimes I wish they'd standardize the code. either a three wire or a four wire PERIOD! if a house is supposed to have a four wire then make it a standard to use a four wire even if it means changing out the old receptacle to a four wire. gets too confusing when you're swapping three wire for four wire etc. Get the three wire for your install. - Hayzee

Comment

Working...
        X
        =