Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever I plug into outlet shocks me!

I have 2 or 3 plugs in my basement that no matter what I plug into them the device is working...but when you touch it it shocks you.

ex. I have a flourescent light fixture, plug it in, works fine but when I touch the hood it shocks me(like a live curent through it). same thing with anything that is conductive, a freezer for example.

What the heck is wrong?

There are no breaker switches thrown, so I am basically stumped. Thanks for the help.

Chris

Chris,

Welcome to the forum!

My best guess is that you have a faulty plug or poorly wired plug and you could be leaking voltage to the ground wire. I am guessing that you aren't losing the full 120v or the breaker would trip ( or your breaker is also faulty).

The metal casings for your appliances are sharing the ground. Check the circuit to find the offending plug. If you see nothing wrong with any of the three plugs I would replace all three with new ones and at the same time check the retaining clamps in each recepticle box to ensure that one of them hasn't damaged the insulation on a cable.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Just so you know, dunno if it matters or not. I have a gfi that is the master in that circuit to act as the ground replacement...it is an older house with no real ground..only the 2 wires. I wish I would have know all this junk before I moved in, it was an elderly guy that was a "handyman" that did all the work...cut every corner you can imagine. Even framed out the basement walls with furring strips.

I appreciate your help!

Comment

Chris,

Okay, the handy previous homeowner thought he was doing something good by adding a new circuit with GFCI and got the project partly right.

When you have older wiring without a proper ground you cannot artifically create one between the GFCI protected outlets. You need to remove the ground wire from between the outlets. The GFCI circuit will protect you from shocks. Note: without a proper ground a surge suppressor or noise filter will not work on the circuits since it would have no place to 'dump' the extra voltage.

OR... you can install a proper grounding rod and create a proper ground to drain off any voltage.

With the ground wire disconnected check at each recepticle check to see if there is any voltage on the ground plug (there shouldn't be).

Please keep us posted, Jim

Comment

Working...
        X
        =