Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair rotting line to electric meter

I noticed the insulation is rotting and brittle on the line to my home electric meter. I was surprised when I called DTE (Detroit Edison) and they said this line is my responsibility to repair. The insulation is bare in some spots and the individual wires are exposed. Please advise in doing this repair.

Are you talking about the cable from your meter to the main panel in your house? If you are then this is not a DIYer job. The meter needs to be pulled in order to replace this cable and you'll need to call a licensed electrician to do it and replace the damaged cable.

If the cable is from your meter to the pole then I would also think that this would be Detroit Edisons side of it and up to them to replace it. But if they won't, you'll still need a licensed guy to do the work, it's too dangerous for a homeowner to do.

Comment

According to most utilities, all the lines from the weatherhead or "gooseneck" to the meter and on to the main panel is the property of the homeowner. From the weatherhead or "point of attachment" to the pole is the utility's property. Along with kactuskid recommendation, the job of the mains should be done by a licensed electrician for one, there is no user serviceable disconnect before the meter to the pole. Once the crimp terminals at the weatherhead are are exposed you have "live" "unfused" hot wires back to the pole's "crib" line or horizontal triplex to the transformer and have unforseeable amps should you short out those lines. By all means have a licensed guy do this - NOT A DIY job

Comment

Working...
      X
      =