Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is the wiring cracking? Are you changing out switches and receptacles and it's cracking while tightening up the connections? You need to supply a bit more info about the problem to determine the way to go here. Are all your receptacles rated for aluminum?

Comment

Sorry for the delayed response. Turns out the wire is a clad, al and copper I believe. If I cut the wire it looks like a light copper color. None of the outlets, switches, nuts, overhead lights are AL rated. The insulation is cracked horribly. Every couple mm I can see wire through the insulation because it is cracked. I took some out (rewiring the bathroom as we speak) and the wire inside the armor is ok as expected. It is just horrible at all the electrical boxes where the wire has been bent many times over the past 50 years. I am most concerned with fishing the wire through external walls that contain insulation. All of the bx is attached to the studs with heavy duty staples so I cannot just pull that out. I want to do as little sheetrock rework as possible. Also, with my roof pitch I cannot even get to the outside walls, it is much too short. My roof pitches on all sides making the middle the high point. Any tips would be great. I got a 4' long flexible augor bit. I tried using it to drill horizontally through studs. I got through the first stud and then it went out the wall in the next room! I am opening that up today, major sheetrock rework there. Thanks

Comment

aluminum wire should have NEVER been accepted as a viable wiring method. You sir have a problem. It's either live with it or remove every bit of it and rewire with copper. copper clad aluminum is accepted but in the long run a poor substitute for the real thing. your choice leave it there or rewire the whole dwelling. copper used to be cheap - it is not now-a-days. hayzee

Comment

Working...
        X
        =