Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning on lamp trips circuit breaker

When I turn on the lamp connected to one particular wall socket it trips the circuit breaker. My house is only one year old so I really don't think it's due to age. I thought it could be the lamp but I switched to a different lamp for that particular socket and though it worked well for a few weeks it is now back to tripping the circuit breaker. Any ideas on what it could be and how I can fix the problem? Thanks for any advice you can give.
    Regards.

Receptacles generally do not exist as "stand alone", so identify the several others controlled by this breaker and try your lamp/s there. If the tripping is not replicated, there are a couple of possibilities.
    Check the wiring of the offending recep., the wiring may be bruised and shorting together or to ground.
    Another is that there may be a staple nailed to tightly or having bruised the romex. The first staple away from the recep, box will be within 12" of that box.
    Illegitimas non-carborundum

Comment

how many watts is the light bulb? do you have access to a clamp around ammeter? just thinking that the load on that circuit may be borderlined for the breaker.

Comment

26W Flourescent

This seems to be the only outlet that is causing difficulties. All the others connected to the breaker are working perfectly. I unscrewed the outlet out of the wall and discovered that the black wire was about 1/8 inch out of the receptacle. I pushed it in fully and it seems to work fine now.....hopefully that was the reason behind the failure.

Comment

OK it appears that - that was the problem. I have no idea other than speed why contractors are still using quick wire receptacles. They are a pain in the you know what especially when they are used to continue the neutral to other parts of circuits.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =