Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change direction of incoming power

Remodeling my 1885 Victorian that was once a business downstairs so the whole first floor was opened up to one room.
    Now my problem is this; they wired all the lights to one switch. I can get to some of the wiring to change back to their own switch and some I can't. The first room I have to change I have to move the chandelier one foot further from the next light and this is where it gets a little complicated. The first light is where the main power comes to first then it goes to all the other lights and outlets throughout the floor. This morning I figured if I cut the power from this first light in the series I could get the rest to work if I ran power to one of the outlets and it worked. But can I switch the incoming power around like this? It seems to me it wouldn't matter as long as I got power going to one of the outlets the rest will work including the other lights

Just got to Love these old houses!

Really the power circuits should be isolated from the lighting circuits. Where your lighting gets power from is really up to you - but I wouldn't mix outlets and lighting. Nobody says it HAS to come from a certain direction.

Comment

Thanks Hayzee,
      Eventually I will iosolate the lights from outlets but to get the rooms divided back to where they should be is job on it's own right now.
      When we moved in this house they had one light switch at the very front of the house for three rooms that you had to walk all the way through the house to turn on.
      Also found a junction box inside a wall today without even a cover plate on, these are also getting removed and new complete wire runs ran.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =