Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting Sump pump in catch basin

Hello, a friend is putting a sump pump in a catch basin outside, about 150' away. It is a 3/4 HP pump, so based on this table http://www.peekspump.com/motors.htm, I had him run 10/2 Underground cable out to the catch basin. Now my question is, how to connect this to the motor: I see four possible ways:
    1. This is the way he was planning on doing it, which I do not like. He wants to put a small post by the catch basin, with a blank box and 2 conduits running up into it. One would contain the incomming UF feed, and the other would contain the Motor cord w/o the plug. Then they would be hardwired together.
    2. Install an Outdoor outlet on the post, and plug the pump into this. How would I run the cord up to it?
    3. Install an outlet in the catch basin, by the top, and plug the motor in here. What if water got in it tho?
    4. The option I'm considering the most, is the way our Septic tank is installed. The UF wire just runs in thru a hole in the side, and a waterproof extension cord end is installed on the end. Then, the Pump's plug is replaced with the mating waterproof plug.

what is the proper way to do this?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Kidd6488; 12-17-2006, 02:01 PM. Reason: add email notification
    ~Jonathon Reinhart

Its best to keep any splicing out of or near any water . His first method of hard wiring the cord and feed seems plausible although it now defeats the purpose of a local disconnect for the pump. next I would choose a plug and receptacle with a weatherproof cover for the outlet and plug. I wouldn't put anything down inside the catch basin. what you have is sort of a wet niche fixture like on a swimming pool light where the water is allowed to get into the fixture, but all the splicing is done out of and away from any water in a waterproof junction box.

Comment

Just thought I would add the results to this. The installation was per #1 above. A post with a blank junction box was installed outside the catch basin. The end of the cord was cut off and spliced inside the box.
      ~Jonathon Reinhart

Comment

Working...
      X
      =