Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Outlets in an Old Home

I'm hoping that someone could help me with my question. My home was built in 1929 so each room has very limited outlets. Plus, they are only singles.

I would like to add some additional outlets to the LR and DR that are on the first floor. I have several questions regarding how to do this. I have done wiring in the past and I know that I can have up to 10 outlets on one circuit.

1) What wiring do I use for these outlets? 10-2, 10-3 or 14-2?

2) The walls to the home are the original plaster. The current outlets are attached to the molding (they do not stick out). Would I only need to cut a hole in the plaster to feed the wiring through, or would I need to cut a hole the size of the outlet and find a stud to attached an outlet box?

3) Could you please confirm that the new outlets are grounded? Or there is at least a ground within the new wiring?

Thank you so much.....

The existing outlet is in the baseboard you say. the code states one outlet every twelve feet of wall space so depending on the size of your room, one outlet centered on each wall may be enough. I would use 12/2 at a wire type. I would opt to use old work boxes plastic if I had the depth or metal utilizing the plaster ears and #4 flat head sheet metal screws to fasten to the baseboard. With the outlet box in the baseboard, its easier to drill down through the plate into the basement and snake your wires through this hole. If the outlet box is on the wall then you'll need to find the plate and drill upward from the basement. This can be done by accurately measuring with a tape or use a fine finishing nail about four inches long and nail down between the floorboards about 1 1/2 inches away from the baseboard. orientate yourself in the basement and find that nail then measure over about 2 1/2 inches and you should be right in the center of the plate - now drill up.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =