Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-Beam In Wall, How To Add Outlets?

I am in the process of completely rewiring my house and am now starting the basement. I have a center wall that runs the entire length of the basement (only has doorway cutouts). I want to add many outlets in this wall on both sides, it is pretty lacking right now. The entire basement was wired in conduit and I am replacing with romex because I want to sheetrock the ceiling. In the 4 outlets that are currently in the center wall they used conduit and exited the wall about 5' up. I always wondered why they didn't go all the way up. I tried using a long flexible drill bit and hit something hard. I opened up a small part of the wall and to my suprise there is a metal Ibeam. I was not expecting this. Any ideas on how to get this done and still have it look decent?

My last question is how can I drill through the header in the basement. I got a right angle drill attachment and tried using a stubby bit but there still insn't quite enough height. Thanks

a screw fed forstner bit will do the trick - its stubby enough to fit in a 6 inch space.

Comment

I already thought of that, my forstner bit was still too long and the screw fed ones aren't any shorter.

Comment

But a spade bit and cut the shaft off.
        Illegitimas non-carborundum

Comment

Good idea, I didn't think of that, thanks

Comment

something I have done and it passed inspection is where there is a horizontal firestop in a wall. like you the flexi-bit wouldn't make it to the firestop. I sounded out the wall where the stop was and made a cut with a knife. once I got the wire around the obstruction and to the point I was putting the outlet, I made sure the cable was very flat and wedged a nail plate without the points (cut them off) in the sheetrock so the cable was covered, then put a thin layer of plaster of paris and let dry. [the plaster of paris dries very hard and rather quickly] then used mud and a piece of paper tape and some more mud. I feathered this out away from the hole so the patch wasn't hardly noticable then finished up the outlet.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =